Tis the season! (Pumpkin spice oatmeal muffins)

Ah, pumpkin spice season.  It is like a blogger's Christmas!  I had to jump on the bandwagon when my Covey Rise haul contained a Long Island Cheese pumpkin.  It had one last year too and I made chocolate chip pumpkin bread and pumpkin spice cake with salted caramel glaze.  That one is getting made again for sure!

With the looks of what was in the share, the pumpkin was going to need to be made for breakfast.  I scoured for a healthy, portable breakfast since I have returned to morning workouts most days.  I found this lovely recipe for some healthy ones that would use up some heart healthy oats I had on hand.  It was a score!

These were really good, and I tested them out on my team at work and they all agreed!  You can customize your add ins to make them your own, but even just the base without add ins is probably just fine on its own.  I made my own pumpkin puree because I am an overachiever, please buy canned and save yourself some time!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Pumpkin spice muffins
Hey muffin!

Pumpkin spice muffins
The cast.  Such a pretty pumpkin!

Pumpkin spice muffins
Look at all those seeds just ready to be roasted later!

Pumpkin spice muffins
After scraping them out, the pumpkin gets roasted.
Pumpkin spice muffins
Aw hey punkin!

Pumpkin spice muffins
Look at that purdy roasted pumpkin!
Pumpkin spice muffins
I had two bags of this left for my freezer, what should I make?
Pumpkin spice muffins
Okay, on to muffin making!  Chocolate chips are a must!
Pumpkin spice muffins
I used baking cups to make them more portable, but you can just spray and not use them.
Pumpkin spice muffins
And, just look how pinnable and delicious the finished product looks!


Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins (Adapted from Kim's Cravings)

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
¼ cup pure maple or cane syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup dried craisins
¼ cup mini chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin wrappers. 
In a large bowl, stir together oats, baking powder, seasonings and salt.
Add pumpkin, egg, syrup, vanilla extract, milk and add-ins. Stir well to incorporate.
Allow the mixture to set and thicken for about 3-5 minutes before spooning into your muffin pan.
Fill muffin cups almost completely full with batter. The muffins will not rise.
Bake for 30 minutes and until the center of each oatmeal muffin is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. 
If you don't allow these to cool before taking them out of the muffin pan, they will fall apart. I used a knife around the sides to make removal easier. After cooling, they will set well. Store in a covered container in the fridge for about a week or freeze for up to 3 months.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments