The Broke Gourmet (deconstructed eggrolls)

I know it seems like I have had a glut of cabbage recipes on here lately.  It's one of my go to things when I am broke because it is cheap, healthy, filling and low carb.  I'm not broke, just on a debt diet and it has taken a little time getting acquainted with it.  This meal is great for a cheap fast meal that makes a ton more food than it should.  And I am pretty sure it is kid friendly, not that I have tried it on my borrowed children.  I used some leftover Trader Joe's Guyoza sauce (so good with the mini wontons!!) but you can use any Asian marinade you have laying around, or even just plain old soy sauce.  I used cabbage I had leftover and went to the messy trouble of grating the carrots.  You can make your life easy by just grabbing a bag of coleslaw mix.  Also I had the ground meat in my freezer, but this is delicious with chicken chunks, ground turkey, pork, whatever.   Experiment! 

So simple!  green onions, onion, garlic, about 1/4 head cabbage, sauce, two carrots and 1/2 lb grassfed ground meat.
sliced cabbage and grated carrots set to the side.  Not pictured: carrots everywhere.
Slice your onion and then cut the slices in half
Saute them in a big skillet until starting to brown, add garlic
Add in the meat and stir around until cooked.
Add in carrots and cabbage and stir and cook for 10 minutes
Until it looks like this
Add sauce and stir to coat
Add in chopped green onions
Serve and be happy
If you aren't living the little no no carb lifestyle you could add some fried won ton strips or some chow mein noodles (gosh I loved those as a kid!) for more crunch.

Deconstructed Eggrolls (Based on this recipe)

1/4 head of cabbage
2 carrots shredded
1 medium onion cut into half slices
3 cloves garlic
1/2 pound of ground meat
1/3 cup Asian marinade sauce
2 green onions sliced into rounds
Olive oil and salt and pepper

Cook onion in olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat until starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic for a minute.  Add meat and stir and cook until cooked through, 3-5 minutes.  Add cabbage and carrots and cook and stir for 10 minutes.  You can raise the heat here if you would like it more cooked.  Add sauce and green onions and cook for 1 more minute to combine.  Season with salt and pepper and serve!

This served me three times.  If you use a bag of coleslaw mix and a pound of meat it would serve a family of 5 well.  Add more sauce though!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments