You never know what you'll pick up at target! (Fancy grains lunch)

I was wanting to try something new for lunch a few weeks ago and I did my grocery shopping at Target.  The recipe called for spelt.  I had a feeling they wouldn't have it so I subbed with Minute multi grain medley.  It has 4 individual pouches, perfect for me and my living alone purposes!  I figured even though this has some carbs in it, it is a good trade because it is vegan.  Later I realized it wasn't at all.  Recipe after the step by step.

The Cast: garlic, onion, lemons, salt and pepper, white beans, rice medley, artichoke hearts, cilantro, mint and parsley

I made this the same evening as the tabbouleh.  My chopping hand hurt!

freaky!

My favorite smell!

Wait a minute, is that really a sausage in there?  They literally meant "flavored with sausage"

Finished product, delish and best served cold, like revenge!
Cold rice salad: (adapted from Cooking Light) Serves 2

One packet of Minute Multi Grain Medley
one half an onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
half a bunch of cilantro, chopped
half a bunch of parsley, chopped
handful of fresh mint, chopped
One small jar of marinated artichoke hearts
one can of white beans
juice of 3 lemons
salt and pepper to taste.

Cook grains as directed on package. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.  Drain your can of beans.  Take artichoke hearts out of jar and retain liquid.  run your knife through artichokes to make the a bit smaller.  Mix all ingredients in a bowl (including artichoke liquid) and refrigerate before serving cold.

This was delish for lunch!  You could serve it as a side for meat as well to stretch it out.

Update: I made this Sunday. It was delish on Monday, by Wednesday it was gross. Had to go get an unwich from Jimmy Johns! So don't plan on it for extended leftovers! Although I may have been biased as I was going to yet another monuments meeting and I had a nervous tummy.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments