A lunch to make all your coworkers jealous (Greens Beans and Bacon)

I love bitter greens.  I never really had them until law school and I was hooked.  It is amazing to me, as a southern girl, that I never had them before.  But my Mom wasn't an adventurous cook, neither was her mom and I only ate with my paternal grandmother who is a great cook on special occasions.  Since I have discovered them, I cannot get enough of them.  I made this recipe a few years back for a "family" dinner.  It was originally intended as a lunch for one and this time I made it a lunch for one but three times!

This is such a good flavor combo, relatively easy and reheatable.  And it is pretty darn healthy and full of fiber!  All of my coworkers were jealous when they saw me heating it up.  Try it sometime with any greens of your choosing, I have made it with others.  Also I am linking up this recipe for Meal Plan Monday on A Southern Plate.  It is a great resource for meal planning and thinking of new things to cook!

Full recipe after the montage!

I guess I was trying to hide the bacon!
Chop up the good stuff!
OOh that smell! It is so good.  Bacon may be bad for you but it sure is lovely!
Add in some chicken stock and deglaze and scrape.
Add in your greens and some more stock and let them reduce down into way less that you thought you would end up with at the end.  
Add in the beans and heat them
Take a pic of the finished product on the blurry setting.
Parcel out in one container of Pyrex Simply Store 10-Piece Glass Food Storage Set  



Greens, beans and bacon (adapted from Back to her Roots)
Ingredients:

One small onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 strips of bacon, diced
1 cup chicken stock or broth, divided
1 big bag of chopped greens 
2 cans white beans
2 dashes red pepper flakes


In a Dutch oven or a saute pan with a lid, saute the bacon, garlic, red pepper flakes and onion over medium-high heat until the bacon is crisp and the onion is tender, about five minutes. Add in 1/2 cup of the Chicken Stock, and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Add in the greens, pour in the rest of the stock and cover Cook for 15 minutes until greens have wilted and shrunk. Add in beans, salt and pepper and stir, cook for about another minute or two, or until the beans are warmed. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments