Finally! (red beans in the slow cooker or crock pot)

In case you are new here or haven't been paying attention, I am a born and bred New Orleanian.  Therefore, I have a good red beans recipe.  Red Beans are traditionally a Monday thing and I guess my working mom was a magician making hers on Monday without a crock pot.  I on the other hand am not one and need to make the traditional Monday meal in the Crock Pot. There are a few cooking things I have never mastered, and getting crock pot red beans to the right consistency is one of them.

I was determined to right this wrong as I just could not bear to have them on a Sunday like I did when I shared the traditional method.  And I figured it out in the end.  Just take the top off and switch it to high at the end.  Hello, earth to me!  I did that and smashed some beans against the side and they were just like I cooked them on the oven!  And I did not pre cook my meat for once and it was just fine!

So now all of you out of towners and working people can have your red beans on Monday!  Slow cooker to the rescue!  Try this sometime, I know it may not seem like comfort to you if you did not grow up here, but it will soon become comfort food!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Red Beans in the Crock Pot
Looks just like I slaved over a hot stove!
Red Beans in the Crock Pot
The Cast.  Ah childhood memories!
Red Beans in the Crock Pot
Seriously, just dump it all in!
Red Beans in the Crock Pot
Looking good!
Red Beans in the Crock Pot
Ready for its close up...In my belly!
Red beans in the Crock Pot

1 pounds dried red kidney beans (preferably Camellia brand)
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock (can sub water)
water as needed (less than you think, just to almost cover the beans, but not really)
1 packs Pickle meat, cut into small pieces (you can sub diced ham)
1/2 link hot sausage (or mild if you don't like the spice) cut into rounds
1 handful chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp. dried)
6 chopped chives (or 1 teaspoon freeze dried)
salt and pepper
Creole spicy seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's), to taste.

Dump everything in the crockpot add water if needed, you do not want to completely submerge everything.  Set it on low for 7 hours.  Take the top off and switch to high for a half hour to 45 minutes when you get home.  Stir sporadically and mash some beans on the side of the crockpot.  Serve over rice or cauliflower rice like I did!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments