It's meatless but you will never know (Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Grits and Wilted Greens)

Hey y'all! Happy May!  Jazz Fest was a blast last weekend and having houseguests made it more eventful so there was no time for blogging.  This will probably be my only post this week, I hope to have some Jazz Fest recap up next week though!

I was told I had elevated cholesterol at my last doctor appointment so I have been trying to get more vegetarian or vegan meals in my life.  I am a lover of meat and hater of seafood, so this is hard.   I try to find recipes that are hearty enough to make me not miss the meat, and I found a real winner with this recipe for Grits with slow roasted Tomatoes and Collard Greens.  

As I have said before in most of my vegetarian recipes, roasting vegetables is the best way to get more rich flavor out of them.  This combination of the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in this recipe was amazing.  And then adding two of my favorite things, grits and collard greens (am I a Southern girl or what?) just made this a real treat; and it is vegan!   

Add this to your Meatless Monday rotation, you will not regret it!  You can even add some Parmesan cheese if you aren't vegan or use chicken broth if you aren't vegetarian.  But I promise, the flavor will really knock your socks off! Full recipe to follow the montage.  L

Not that pretty, but damn delicious!
The cast of delightful characters.
Ready for Roasting!
Greens, glorious greens
Wilted greens, glorious wilted greens!
Now they are chock full of flavor!
And ready for your belly!

Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Grits and Wilted Greens (Adapted from Earthly Feast)

2 tomatoes sliced into wedges
1 onion
1 can beans of your choice (I used chickpeas)
4 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tbsp dried thyme
generous salt and pepper
1 small bunch collard greens
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup veggie broth (Can use chicken if not vegetarian)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes if you like spice
Polenta or grits for serving

Cut up tomatoes, onion and garlic. Place in oven-proof dish with olive oil, salt & pepper and roughly chopped herbs. Cover with foil and place in pre-heated oven at 325F for 45 minutes. Prepare the collards when the tomatoes have 20 minutes left. Cut collards into thin ribbons (stack the leaves on top of one another, fold lengthwise, cut into thin ribbons). Place butter in a hot pan, let it get bubbly. Add the collard ribbons and sauté for a minute before adding the vinegar to deglaze. Add the broth and let simmer for 20 minutes.  Prepare the grits or polenta.  Place grits in a bowl.  Top with tomato mixture and then add greens on top.  Serve!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments