Local produce and leftovers unite for taste (Cream of broccoli soup with sour cream and bacon)

I miss my old pal the Hollygrove market, but now I have a new produce partner in Covey Rise Farms.  The first week of my produce share contained broccoli, carrots and spring onions.  They would go great with all the broth, bacon and sour cream in my fridge that was burning a hole in my pocket to make soup.

And soup I made, and said soup was delicious.  It was perfect with a lightly dressed salad as a meal.  And how easy!  You could use low fat sour cream as well to make it lower in fat.  If you are a veggie head, you can leave out the bacon, just double the butter or use an oil/faux fat of your choice.  It will still work!  Make this, you will love it!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up for Meal Plan Monday.

Hey soup!  Looking good!
A very simple soup
I love all natural carrots and all their colors!
You could leave out the bacon, but why would you want to?
It goes from so colorful and wonderful
To something like something out of a 70's kitchen.
Sour cream makes everything better!
Much better!

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

half tablespoon unsalted butter
2 strips of bacon, chopped
¾ cup spring onion, chopped (or use regular)
3-5 cloves garlic minced (I used 5 because I like garlic)
Sea salt to taste
¾ pound broccoli, chopped
1 carrot, sliced thinly
4 cups broth
¼-1/2  cup sour cream (start with 1/4 and add more as needed)

Melt butter and bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sea salt. When the onion starts to soften, add  garlic broccoli and carrot and cook until vegetables are soft. Add 2 cups broth and simmer for about 20 minutes. Puree soup in batches, or in pot with an immersion blender, until smooth. Add 2 more cups of broth and simmer for 10 minutes.  Slowly mix in sour cream.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments