Oldies are usually goodies! (Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies)

I love trying new recipes and always have since I started cooking in the 6th grade. That was the summer I got to stay home and not go to summer camp, which I hated!  I would invite my friends who lived in the neighborhood over and I would make us grilled chicken salads and we would lay out in the back yard.  My friends and my food tastes and tanning habits have changed, but my love of cooking old favorites certainly has not.  

When I lived in Austin, I was surrounded by Mexican food and hispanic markets.  I was intrigued by the fideo sold for so cheap there back then and I made myself some with this great recipe back when I really should have started this blog. I remember it being delicious but really have not made it since then!  New Orleans has grown its population of Hispanic people since Katrina and now we have all of the products I used to love in the regular neighborhood Rouses, not just in a Hispanic market.  I saw some fideo when I was shopping one day and knew I needed to make it again!

I am so glad I did!  This was just as full of flavor as I remembered it and Gentleman Caller thought so too .  If you can't find fideo noodles, some broken up vermicelli or angel hair will be perfect.  It tastes like you cooked it all day and it will please any picky person if you chop the veggies small enough!  Make this, you will not regret it!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up the fine folks of Meal Plan Monday

Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
Doesn't that just look delicious!?

Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
A very simple cast.
Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
Does this remind anyone else of making rice a roni?
Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
Remove the noodles and saute the veggies.
Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
Add in the other guys and cook it up.
Fideo Mexican Pasta with veggies
Garnish with cilantro and cheese.  So yummy!
1/2 cup canola oil
12 ounces dried angel hair pasta nests
1/2 white onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrots, diced
salt
black pepper
1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and diced
3 to 4 cups tomato sauce
1/2 bunch cilantro, stems discarded, leaves chopped
1 cup grated Cotija cheese (grated parmesan will work)

Pour the oil into a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. When oil starts to shimmer, add pasta. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom, about 30 seconds. Flip and lightly brown on the other side, about another 30 seconds. When done, remove pasta and drain on paper towels. Discard any bits of pasta left in the skillet. Turn the heat to high, and add more oil if pan is dry,  then add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about four minutes. Add the celery, and cook, stirring often, until it lightens in color, about three minutes. Add the carrots and a pinch of salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the carrots are tender, about five minutes. Add the diced jalapeño, toasted pasta, and three cups of the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes. If pasta has absorbed all of the liquid, add a little more. The pasta will break apart into strands. Continue cooking until pasta is cooked, but still relatively firm, about three more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the pasta between four bowls. Top with a sprinkling of cilantro and Cotija cheese. Serve immediately.


No comments