One more step on the quest for perfection (Easy Canned Chickpea hummus)

I love hummus.  I will always order it if it is on the menu and I always have my favorite store bought kind, Sabra Supremely Spicy, in my fridge.  There are a few things in the kitchen I have never been able to master, and hummus is one of them.  I found a recipe that called for easy homemade hummus and decided to give it a whirl. As always when looking at recipes, I read the comments to see if other home chefs have some tips.  This one did and I think it helped!

The flavor was spot on here, but the texture is still something I cannot master. The tips I used were removing the shells from the chickpeas and also adding baking soda.  It was by far the best texture when I have made it, but it is still not perfect like I want it to be.  

So this tastes amazing, and I will make it again, maybe blending it even longer.  Do you have any tips for making hummus smoother?  I loved using canned chickpeas here, so much faster!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Easy and smooth canned chickpea hummus
I always have Aleppo pepper on hand,  makes the perfect hummus garnish!

Easy and smooth canned chickpea hummus
The cast on a winter day.  It gets so dark so fast this time of year!
Easy and smooth canned chickpea hummus
Boiled and ready for blending!
Easy and smooth canned chickpea hummus
Looks really smooth to me!
Easy and smooth canned chickpea hummus
Pin it and try it yourself!
Easy Canned Chickpea Hummus (adapted from Epicurious)

2 (15-oz.) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed and most if not all shells removed.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 garlic cloves
6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
5 Tbsp. tahini
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving

Place chickpeas and baking soda in a medium pot and cover with water by 1". Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, undisturbed, until chickpeas start falling apart, about 20 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid, then drain chickpeas. Transfer chickpeas to a food processor. Add garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbsp. reserved cooking liquid and process for a full 5 minutes (set a timer for this) until creamy and smooth. If at any point the hummus appears dry or very thick, add cooking liquid 1 Tbsp. at a time. With the motor running, stream in oil and process just until combined. Transfer to a medium bowl and drizzle with more oil and sprinkle some Aleppo pepper or spice of choice on top.  Hummus can be made 5 days ahead. Let cool, then cover and chill.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments