Leftovers that blow hamburger helper out of the water (Beef stroganoff)

My law school boyfriend invited me over to his apartment for dinner one evening when we were first dating. He had been a line cook at a cool little place in college so I was so excited to see what he would cook up!  Turns out he made Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff and served it with Miller High Life.  Lucky for him I am not high maintenance!  It was actually the first time I had ever had Beef Stroganoff.  My mom never made that (surprisingly) and I never ate in the cafeteria in school.  Suffice it to say, as we went on to date for the next few years, I did all of the cooking...and we switched to wine and bourbon.

I made Carne Guisada and had a ton of leftovers.  I decided to get creative and try and make Beef Stroganoff with it.  It is not technically comfort food for me as it isn't a childhood favorite, but creamy beef and noodles?  How can you go wrong!  I cannot believe I used a can of beef consomme for this. but I randomly had it laying around and it was the perfect use for it.  Full recipe after the step by step.
The cast: leftover meat, an onion, sour cream, egg noodles, beef consomme and mushrooms.
Sliced were the same price as whole so I cheated!
I forgot the butter in the cast photo so it gets it's own star photo.  

I forgot to take a pic of the mushrooms and onions before I poured in the liquid,
 but you can still kind of see the beautiful color.
Add in your meat and stir to heat and combine.

The meat kind of shredded down in the cooking process.  
Serve over egg noddles and feel the comfort!
Leftovers Beef Stroganoff (Adapted from Smiley's Kitchen)

Leftover Carne Guisada (about a cup and a half to two of meat)
1 pkg mushrooms, sliced

one small onion cut into bigger pieces (cut in half and then cut lengthwise and crosswise 4 times each)
2 tbsp salted butter
1 can 12 oz beef consomme
3 tbsp sour cream
1/2 Package of egg noodles


Melt butter in a dutch oven.  Saute onion and mushrooms until mushrooms are golden brown and shrunken a bit, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add can of beef consomme and scrape up any brown bits.  Add in leftover meat and heat for 5 minutes.  Add sour cream and stir until combined.  During this time cook your noodles according to package directions.  Serve Stroganoff over noodles.  Possible toppings: cheddar cheese, chopped chives or just as is.  

Had this for lunch the next day with my work bestie and it was delicious!  This would be good I am sure with any leftover meat.  Try it out!  And as always if you do, let me know how it turns out!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments