Short week before the beach calls for salad (asian chicken and satsuma salad with writing challenge entry)

I went on a Bachelorette party recently for my longtime friend Lisa.  She and my other friends are like fitness models so some healthy low carb food was in order for the week for lunch.  I went to Hollygrove Market the weekend before and had salad greens, satsumas and honey from the box.  I made a whole roasted chicken the week before and had some leftover chicken.  I pinned this recipe and was set!  As you know I love taking what I have and making something yummy and every time I get a Hollygrove box, I am set to do just that!  Full recipe after the montage.  And a bonus 30 day writing challenge entry!

The cast. The chili garlic sauce is really spicy, you may want to sub Sriracha if you aren't a spice fan. 
Mix up your dressing ingredients.  I did not have sesame oil so I used Olive oil
I thought if I added a tsp of sesame seeds that would fake the flavor!
Chop your red bell peppers
Wash up your salad greens and take them for a spin.  Nothing better than a salad spinner eh!
Add your coleslaw mix
Mix lettuce with green onion and red bell pepper.  I was making this for lunch for three days so I kept the satsumas, chicken and dressing out to put on each day.



I swear there is dressing on there.  A word of caution, don't put it on straight from the fridge. It changed texture and didn't pour easily.

Asian Chicken and Satsuma salad: (Borrowed from Nutritionist in the Kitch)
2 cups salad lettuce
1 cup coleslaw mixture (cabbage and carrots)
¼ cup sliced red bell pepper
1 green onion, sliced
3 small satsumas (mandarin orange) peeled and segmented
4 oz plain baked or grilled chicken breast, chopped

Dressing:
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (or sub sriacha)
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce 
1 teaspoon ground ginger or minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon raw honey
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 tsp sesame seeds

In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside
In a medium bowl combine salad ingredients.
Toss cooked chicken with half of the dressing and layer on the salad.
Drizzle remainder of the dressing over the salad.

The trip for the bachelorette Party was to Seaside.  I have always love that area and would love to move there after I retire or win the lottery!  This thought goes well with day 5 of the 30 day writing challege!  enjoy!
30 Day writing challenge day 5, a place I would live that I have never visited.

This list is long because I have a long list of places I have never visited but want to so bad! I have lived in Kenner, Metairie, Hattiesburg, Baton Rouge, Lyon (France), Austin and New Orleans. I have spent more time than I cared to in Waco, Hillsboro and Texarkana, Texas. I am an adaptable little creature and have lived in some borderline hellholes. So therefore you can pretty much plop me anywhere and I will be fine. But I never want to leave New Orleans!

If I had to pick a place to live that I have never been, tops on the list is probably Napa. I love wine, good food and sweater weather and it seems all three of those are prevalent in Napa. It seems like a small town way of life, but not too small. Good architecture seems to abound there as well. I hope to visit there sometime in the near future and hopefully that won’t disappoint. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments