This is a no brainer (Homemade chicken stock)

I used to compost when my brother-in-law would do a big batch of it in the back yard.  I kept all my leftover veggie scraps and coffee grinds in the fridge and bring them over once a week and cook dinner for them.  It was the perfect hand in hand, in return for all my veggie scraps they would give me free tomatoes in the summer and dog sitting when I went on trips. I remember many moons ago I was on a date with a guy that couldn't be more opposite than me.  I don't know how it happened (of course I do, wine and nervous small talk) but I somehow mentioned that I composted and he said "Oh my gosh you keep your trash in the fridge?"  I moved to Austin shortly thereafter and no one questioned my composting...more like they questioned when you didn't do it!

Now that composting isn't happening in the fam, my other method of reusing stuff is making stock. Whenever I make something with celery, onion and carrots I keep the scraps just in case I have a chicken carcass coming my way.  My lucky day came!  I made Buffalo Chicken soup and chopped a lot of veggies.  I picked up a rotisserie chicken on a whim to make some lunch and to add to the soup and voila, I had my stock friends! Full recipe after the montage.

 I am posting this in Meal Plan Monday with Southern Plate and Southern Bite as well!  Link on over!

Just a bunch of scraps that are going to be delicious!
Everything into the pool!
Keep your lid halfway on to ensure you won't have most of it escape while it's coming to a boil and you are doing other things!
My stock aking savior  Will appear in a forthcoming kitchen tools post!
Look at that color!  
I do not remember how I possibly made stock without this! 
I wanted to drink it!
I make a couple of different sizes, 1, 2 and 4 cup
Let it cool for a bit and skim some obvious fat off the top with a paper towel.
All ready for the freezer!

Homemade Chicken Stock

1 chicken carcass
2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
2 medium onions, quartered

Place all ingredients in a soup pot. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.  Strain broth, discarding vegetables and chicken bones. Let Cool. Skim fat from surface. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments