A cool refreshing side that will perk up leftovers (Citrus fennel salad)

I really do have Plated to thank for my new found love of fennel. That dish I made with it was so good.  It is funny how when you get out of your comfort zone, you sometimes find something new to love, kind of like dating and mingling! Speaking of, I was making dinner for Gentleman Caller and I and wanted something fresh to go with the reheated beer can chicken I was serving. Nothing screams fresh like a raw salad, especially with citrus.  And then fennel popped in my head.  I could combine them for deliciousness!

And delicious it was.  So cool and refreshing with mint and such a great paring of flavors.  It was so easy to make, except for the citrus segmenting.  I am going to add "learn how to supreme citrus" to my things to do before I turn 40 bucket list now (the only other thing currently on that list is to read the Game of Thrones books).  I better get on it!

Make this, it looks and tastes so fancy and there is no cooking involved!  I had some jalapeno infused oil on hand and that really added a lovely kick.  I will add in some optional jalapeno in the ingredients so you can do that if you would like.  Do you know how to supreme citrus? Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday

Citrus fennel salad
So bright, pretty and fresh!
Citrus fennel salad
This fennel took up a lot less room that the last time!
Citrus fennel salad
You need to peel off that white part so it is easier to eat.
Citrus fennel salad
Squeeze out some juice too.
Citrus fennel salad
Slice up your fennel like so.  Or use a mandoline if you are feeling frisky.
Citrus fennel salad
Mix up a yummy vinaigrette.  I just used this and a fork.
Citrus fennel salad
Look how good that chicken looks the next day with it!  We loved this meal!
Citrus fennel salad
Got to give a girl her close up!
Citrus Fennel salad (Via Food and Wine)
2 red grapefruits
2 navel oranges
1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt
2 fennel bulbs—halved, cored and thinly sliced, 2 tablespoons of chopped fronds reserved
2 tablespoons small mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Using a sharp knife, cut the skin and white pith from the grapefruits and oranges. Working over a bowl, cut between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes to extract the juice.  In a small bowl, stir the olive oil with the honey and lemon juice. Add 3 tablespoons of the citrus juice and season with salt. Reserve the remaining citrus juice for another use.  In a shallow serving bowl, toss the fennel and citrus sections and jalapeno, if using, with the dressing. Garnish with the chopped fennel fronds, mint leaves and ground coriander and serve right away.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments