A sign you really haven't grilled enough this summer (Smoked Beer Can Chicken)

I have never made beer can chicken before and for the 4th of July I was determined to do it. I did way too much research as to the best method. I wanted to smoke it since my grill is smoker capable and I had a lot of time on my hands with a day off work.  It seemed that there was some debate as to weather the beer can method actually worked.  I decided to try it anyway. I was so glad I did, the skin was amazing and it made for some amazingly juicy chicken!

You can try and turn any charcoal grill into a makeshift smoker really.  You just need vents and wood chips.  Combine the chips with charcoal, place them one side, set up your meat on the other and prepare for a semi long ride.  You can totally grill this the conventional way too, we have done it at the beach and it really is delicious.  

Some barbecue gurus will disagree with me but I reheated it the next night and it was still juicy!  I used the Williams Sonoma Diavolo rub.  I will try as best I can to explain below how to set all this up.  The water pan is key!  Have you made beer can chicken before?  Are you just going to forward this on to the man in your life and say honey, make this or are you a lady griller like me?  

Smoked Beer Can Chicken
This picture really cracks me up.  Makes me think of the 50 Shades of Chicken Cookbook!
Smoked Beer Can Chicken
Look, so easy! Just wait about 3.5 hours or so.  Perfect time to clean the house!
Smoked Beer Can Chicken
Look how crisp!  And I can confirm it was juicy and wonderful reheated!!
Smoked or Grilled Beer Can chicken:

One can beer (I only had fancy canned beer so I drank it and poured a cheaper beer in the can!)
One whole chicken, rinsed and innards removed
1/4 cup rub (use your favorite)
larger pat of butter
foil pan
water
Wood chips
charcoal

Place a few pieces of charcoal down on the bottom part of your grill on one side.  Place a good handful of wood chips on top. Place a pan halfway filled with water on the other side.  Light more charcoal in a chimney started and when hot and ready pour over wood chips and distribute to get the wood chips smoking.  Once ready to go, open the beer and take a big gulp.  Cut two small holes on the top.  Rub the chicken with butter and then rub down well. Shove the beer can in the bottom of the bird and place over the water pan.  Cover and close grates over charcoal leaving the ones over chicken half open (or just leave your grill top down if you aren't in a Weber or one like mine.  Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until a thermometer tells you it is ready (about 165 degrees in the thick part of the thigh.

Happy cooking!

Missy

No comments