Book Club treats for the meateaters (Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary)

I just love hosting things at my house.  It just does not happen enough.  I was excited that August was my turn to host my more serious book club.  However it was a "non book" month, meaning I needed to find an activity.  Usually those have been more of an outing, but I wanted to host at my house. Luckily, the book club head lady in charge suggested I have a travel points expert come and talk to us at my house.  We could learn about maximizing points, and I could make yummy food!  Win win!

I searched the internet for best brunch recipes and the first few hits were from the always gorgeous Half Baked Harvest.  She had these sweet and savory bacon wrapped puff pastry twists that I knew I had to make!  They looked and sounded amazing.  I went to making them and realized I accidentally bought phyllo dough instead of puff pastry.  I had to run to Whole Foods for the replacement and ended up spending an arm and a leg. But I was glad I did, the investment was worth it!

These are a little tedious to make, but you won't regret it.  They would make a perfect christmas treat too.  I will warn you to work in batches with the puff pastry and keep some of it in the fridge as you work, it will get super sticky if not.  You have to make these!  Make them with kids, they will love it. The salty sweet and crispy soft combo is divine! Now what should I make with my phyllo dough, any suggestions? Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, click on over and check it out!

Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
Hello Lover!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
I forgot the brown sugar and cayenne in the cast photo.  But here it is!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
It got too complicated to photograph at this point.  I should have let it go for a ride in the fridge before cutting.  In any event, after cutting, put some back in fridge.
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
This is going to be so good!  All rolled up!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
Sprinkle with rosemary and brown sugar.
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
And look how good!  Man I wish I had more of these around!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary
One more shot just to tempt you!
Puff Pastry Wrapped Bacon twirls with Cheddar and Rosemary (adapted from Half Baked Harvest)

1 package frozen puff pastry
1 egg beaten
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
18 pieces of thin cut bacon sliced in half lengthwise
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.  Open puff pastry on a cutting board. Brush the surface lightly with some of the beaten egg. Sprinkle with your desired amount of cayenne pepper and sprinkle surface with 1/2 cup of cheese to evenly cover entire surface. Dust a rolling pin lightly with flour and then roll the rolling pin over the cheese to gently press the cheese into the puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry into long 1/2-inch-wide strips and then take each strip, fold in half and pinch the ends together. Now gently twist each strip several times.  Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around the twisted pastry and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining puff pastry and bacon until everything has been used.  Add the brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper to a shallow bowl or pie plate and toss well. Now carefully take each bacon wrapped pastry one at a time and dip it through the brown sugar mixture, using your hands to coat all over the twist. Place each twist back on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining twists.  Bake the twist for 30 to 50 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Start checking them at around 30 minutes and then every 5 to 10 minutes after that to make sure they are not burning. Once the bacon is cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments