A return to carbs for breakfast's sake (Homemade healthy whole wheat berry breakfast bread)

I hate wasting food.  I also hate having a full freezer during hurricane season.  I also don't drink green smoothies anymore.  This is all a problem for the large bag of antioxidant blend fruit from Costco that has been wasting away in my freezer! I used to make smoothies with that and Costco's amazing stays good for two weeks spinach.   

I needed to make something with the berries and I went to the google. I found this recipe for berry bread and was excited.  I used to make bread all the time but gave that up when I switched to the little to no carb lifestyle.  I thought this would be perfect for breakfast and to bring back some bread memories. I was right. And I lightened it up a little more and it felt so good!

When you really look at it, this is relatively healthy for a breakfast bread; only one egg, applesauce instead of oil, no white sugar or flour and low fat milk!  And it was so tasty!  I loved it, Gentleman Caller loved it, my office taste testers loved it; it was truly a crowd pleaser!  Try this, you will not regret it, and just wait till you smell it cooking!  So delicious!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
There is just nothing like homemade bread!
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
The Cast.  It was a little dark that day. And my photo editing software license expired :(
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
Toss your berries with flour, it supposedly keeps them from sinking.
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
Mix the dry ingredients
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
And then mix in the wet to make it look a bit like peanut butter!
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
Add in those floured berries and watch them not sink!
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
See, look at them floating!
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
What a gorgeous loaf, right?
Homemade healthy whole wheat fruit breakfast bread
The big berry may have dropped!
Whole Wheat Berry Breakfast Bread (Adapted from Inspired Homestyle)

2 cups and two tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
3/4 cup lowfat milk
1/4 cup apple sauce (you can use same amount of canola or vegetable oil)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Approx. 2 cups berries of your choice.  (I used frozen but you can do fresh)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl, add 2 cups flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine; set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl melt the butter. To the butter, add milk, oil, vanilla, and the egg. Whisk to combine. Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Don’t over mix, just stir until just combined. No worries if your batter is a little lumpy, it will turn out fine. Trust me! In a separate bowl, add the berries and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir gently until the berries are coated with the flour.  Gently fold the berries into the batter. Pour the batter into prepared pan  Bake for 30 minutes. Bread is cooked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter, your oven may vary (my old house would take up to 50 minutes). Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments