Recapping the weekend- Not a great time to head to Texas

My heart is going out to Houston right now.  They took so many of our poor souls in during and after Katrina (12 years ago today) and now it looks like they are having their own.  I gave money through the Red Cross and will be doing whatever I can in the aftermath.  Just so sad.

I went back to Austin this weekend to visit my old haunts from when I lived there and to vist my best friend Aimee for her birthday.  It rained and was windy all weekend, but we still made the most of it!  
I got in right in time for Happy hour Thursday and we marched right to Torchy's Tacos.  Y'all, this queso!  I miss it so much!

Sitting outside was probably not a good idea since I am allergic to everything in Austin.
 We went to Chuy's for dinner.  I love my Tex Mex!  We sat outside again and it felt amazing but...

A #5 combo, chalupa and deluxe enchilada.  Mmmmmm 
Well all the sitting outside led to a full blown sinus infection.  We stopped for medicine and champagne the next morning because it was Waco or bust!  I used to visit Waco and all the other towns between it and Austin for work and I was amazed how much everything has grown! We had to visit Chip and Joanna's place, Magnolia!


Yay!  Magnolia time! 
So fun!  And so hot, 100 degrees!

This place is too cute and so overwhelming!
Where did I want to go for lunch after?  Torchy's it was again!  We got more queso and tacos.  I tried one of the crazy specials, the Creeper.  It was sooooooo hot and helped my sinuses!

Yummy!  I love tacos! 

We went to Harp Design too for a visit, so cute!
We hurried home to beat the weather and stopped in at HEB for supplies.  It was a madhouse!  We decided to be productive and clean out her plethora of cookbooks.

All are on their way to Half Price Books!

Here came Harvey.  

We made a Mediterranean salad and laid low.

It was still rough weather on Saturday but I really wanted to go to the Domain and Nordstrom.  So we did!  I was so surprised about how much had changed!  We shopped a little.

And we had to have a fancy cocktail.  I love that Nordy has a restaurant!

We laid low again since the weather got worse.  We made some yummy food, drank wine and caught up on everything!

Sunday was her birthday and we were determined to celebrate.  We headed out to Picnik, a butter coffee and gluten free haven in my old neighborhood.  
The butter coffee bar.  It was so good!

Our apps: kale and apple guacamole and Brussels sprouts.

I got the Orange Chicken, yum!

We had an ice cream sandwich for dessert!

I love this lady!  We haven't changed since we met on the high kick line of Jayettes 22 years ago!
We went and drove by my old house and it wasn't there! I lived in a 1940's era two bedroom cottage. It was knocked down and a very large modern two story was in its place.  I was so sad and it really showed the contrast between that and my current city where I help make sure that doesn't happen!

My flight was delayed due to the hurricane so we decided to have one last glass as usual.

Rose all day! 

I got to the airport early and flight was a little more delayed so more fun!
It was so good to get back and see Aimee and see how much Austin has changed.  It was the first time I have been back and actually was sad leaving.  But I am happy to be home to my NOLA, friends, family, pup and Gentleman Caller.  But I am keeping Texas in my heart more than normal.  Hope you had a great weekend! Have you ever been to Austin?

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments