Detoxing and clean eating (power protein salad)

Everyone has New Year's resolutions.  Mine for 2015 was to lose the rest of my weight I gained after I quit smoking. (Worth every pound gained, if you still smoke quit now!) I decided to do this by living a little to no carb lifestyle.  It worked; I lost the last 11 pounds, and two sizes in the process! Although I feel Pure Barre may have had a little to do with it as well!

I have kind of explained the lifestyle here before. It is simply this, try not to buy carbs and try not to eat them at home during the week or at lunch. I don't count carbs, I just read labels and try to eat lean proteins and veggies. Then, on the weekend, or when I go out to eat, I can have whatever I want.  It is a lifestyle, not a diet, so you don't feel guilty or deprived.  I used to call my days I ate what I want cheat day, but that feels dirty.  I feel like I just get to eat whatever I want when I am not at home. Like quitting smoking, getting over a breakup, or sticking to an exercise regime, it is all mind over matter.   Anything is possible!

Most times, except for when I eat Italian food, specifically pizza, I go little to no carb at restaurants or parties as a result.  It's how I found my love of the Vito unwich at Jimmy John's (add hot peppers) and the Buffalo chicken salad my friend and I order off the menu at Walk On's, both which happen to be affiliated with one of my favorite fit people, Drew Brees!

When I started the little to no carb lifestyle,  I mostly focused on healthy salads for lunch as that is a no brainer.  I stumbled across this simple yet delicious one and loved it.  I could make it for 3 days in a row and not get tired of it.  It is a pack individually and assemble at work number, but it takes no time to do it all.  I had already cooked my chicken so please enjoy an abbreviated montage after the jump.  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!



The cast with precooked chicken.  That is sunflower seeds in the bag!
Chop up the chicken.  You can get the pre chopped too.
I can never make easy peel eggs. I feel like I have tried everything!  Do y'all have suggestions?

I remove some yolks.  Mostly because I hate hard boiled yolks.  But love them runny!  I know, as I have told you, I have weird taste buds!
Wrap it all up and head out to greet the day.  Or put it in the fridge like I did and head to bed.
Hello pretty pretty salad!  Let's make you prettier!
Just lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper, simple and delish!
And cannot forget avocado, makes everything more delicious!
Power Protein Salad (Borrowed from With Style and Grace) Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups fresh spring mix
1 cup grilled chicken, chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2  avocado, diced
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds

Dressing
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt + pepper

Toss, dress and serve!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments