Rescued produce to the rescue! (Kale and Ground beef tacos with hidden veggies)

I was leaving my sister's house one evening to go home and she said, "Hey, do you still use kale everyday?  They had some in my Hollygrove box and it is going to go to waste."  I do not eat kale everyday anymore now that I have switched to spinach for my morning smoothies. (dear lawd this blog has come along way since then!) And since kale is apparently so hard to find in this town. However, as I am sure you have inferred by now, I hate letting things, especially fresh locally grown veggies, go to waste.  I had to get something for dinner anyway and this way I could use that instead of picking something up.

I began googling at red lights what I could make.  I remembered I had a bit of ground meat leftover from New Years Eve's taco salad.  I googled kale and ground meat and this popped up first.  Sounded like a winner!  Replacing some of the meat for carrots in a taco sounded like something good to share with my momma readers,  and I had everything else on hand!

This was really good.  I also made my homemade taco shells to go with it. Boxed shells or soft flour or corn will work too. I was glad I wilted the kale and sauteed it with onion to get some good flavor on there.  Even if you leave out the kale, swapping out half the meat for carrots is an ingenious idea to fool your kiddos or significant other (or your self, but only if you cook blindfolded!)  Try it out sometime.  I bet it would be equally good with squash or zucchini or any other mild flavored grateable veggie.  I cut this in half as it was just for me and I still had some filling leftover.  I have reproduced the full recipe for four below. Full recipe after the montage!

Kale glorious kale! My meat was frozen so that varied my cooking time.  That was my last tablespoon of tomato paste in my freezer.  Time to stock up!
Grate those nutrient packed carrots!
The onions were my addition.  I was glad I kept my contacts in!
I love seeing what my fruits and veggies are supposed to look like when I get them
from a farmers market!
Saute the onions and then throw in the kale to wilt.
Heat up your meat.  Or in my case, defrost it.
Add the carrots and the all important garlic!
When meat is cooked through add the tomato paste and cumin to spice it up.
And when you are done, you can enjoy and feel a little less guilty!
Kale and Beef tacos with hidden veggies (Adapted from Epicurious)
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
2 carrots, grated
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup water
12 corn taco shells (or make your own!)
2 cups kale leaves sliced into thin strips
1 small onion sluiced into half moons
1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
 jarred salsa

Heat a large non stick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, carrots, and garlic. Sprinkle with the salt. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat begins to brown and the vegetables soften. Add the chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until the spices become fragrant. Add the water, reduce the heat, and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, until the beef is no longer pink in the center.

While that is cooking add the olive oil to another skillet.  Saute the onions until translucent. Add the kale and mix well allowing it to wilt.

Meanwhile, place the taco shells in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes to warm them (or warm them in the toaster oven). Assemble each taco by spooning in 2 tablespoons of the meat and some of the kale and cheese into each shell. Top each taco with 1 teaspoon salsa and serve immediately.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

No comments