If only I had a real kitchen in the dorm! (Fancied Up Ramen Noodles)

When I moved back into my old house there needed to be some consolidation, moving of things around and creative orginization.  My old historic house is amazingly beautiful, but like most historic homes, the storage is woeful.  

I used one of my few furniture items I kept as a bit of a makeshift pantry as I had done last time I lived in the house.  The roommate was keeping her food in a cabinet in the kitchen and it was a much needed space for kitchen wares so I moved it all to the makeshift pantry.

As I was cleaning out the cabinet, I stumbled on some ramen noodles.  I immediately wanted to do something with them.  I decided to doctor them up and make them like the noodle places that have been popping up all over town.  

I went over to my friend Maureen's house for this meal and another friend and I helped her hang art in her house.  It only took five years for her to finally "move in"!  They loved the ramen as much as I did.  And it photographed so well!

I love a soft boiled egg and it really made the dish.  The method was perfect, but I still had a hard time peeling the eggs.  I just have to resign myself to the fact that I just am incapable of making easy to peel eggs.  We all have our faults!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Just beautiful!  And so tasty!

Those are very large green onions and some chopped bok choy.  
Saute the chicken.  I like that better than boiling and shredding, gives it more flavor. Add the bok choy too to get a little sear on it.
Add your broth and seasonings and noodles and simmer down.
I like green onion, jalapeno and cilantro as garnish.  Goes well as Mexican garnish as well!
I thought for sure this would not only stop the cooking process but also make them easy to peel.  I was wrong.  I'm just cursed.
What a pretty bowl!
That is also her own original pottery that the flowers are in.  
Yay for local art and Nanny Mo!

Gussied up Ramen Noodles

2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
one large white onion, chopped
One hear of bok choy, chopped
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 cups chicken broth
Two packs of ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
Garnish:
large handful of cilantro, chopped
a few green onions, sliced
1-2 fresh jalapenos sliced
soft boiled egg (recipe to follow)

Place sesame oil in a large pot heated to medium.  Season thicken thighs with salt and pepper.  Add the chicken to oiled pot when oil is heated and heat on each side for 5 minutes.  Then use a wooden spoon to twist and try to tear the meat into pieces.  (this is entirely optional).  Add the onion and bok choy and saute for 7-10 minutes until onions are cooked.  Add broth , soy sauce, rice vinegar and bring to a boil.  Add noodles and lower heat.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes until noodles are to your liking.  Serve and garnish.

Soft boiled eggs:

As many eggs as bowls you are making
Ice
Water

Fill a large bowl with ice and water.  Heat some water in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat until it's barely at a simmer, add the eggs gently and cook for 6 minutes. I mean it, only 6 minutes! Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in the ice water. Let the eggs cool slightly before peeling.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments