Corn tortillas are not for everything (Vegan Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Taquitos with Cashew Cheese)

I was vegan for a very hot minute when I lived in Austin.  It was mostly to lose weight, not for health reasons.  The 25 pounds I gained after quitting smoking just would not come off fast enough and I tried everything.  What worked was time, it took about three years!  By they way I do not regret one pound, best decision I ever made!  I am leaving for Austin today so why not celebrate with this vegan treat?

I try to limit my dairy intake and have never made cashew cheese and have been dying to try it. When this buffalo artichoke chickpea taquito with cashew cheese popped up, it was like everything I ever loved came together. And I could try my hand at cashew cheese!

These were yummy, but unfortunately turned out ugly from an execution error and no one touched them at my happy hour I mad them for. I say execution error because I used all natural local corn tortillas that were a few days old.  Corn tortillas are not good for rolling unless brand spanking new or made with fake stuff.  If you make this, or any other taquito, use flour!  You would think I would have learned my lesson! So please, again, if you try these, make them with flour.  And use the cheese sauce to make mac and cheese!  I hear it is delicious for that...and nachos.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
These were the only two that cooperated.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
The cast.  These are some of my favorite things!
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
Saving time using frozen is such a good idea.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
The original recipe didn't call for this but I think it adds flavor.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
Add it all to the processor and make fake cheese.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
I mean it's never going to fake a non drunk person out, but pretty cool!
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
Mash up the chickpeas
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
Add the "cheese", buffalo sauce and artichokes.  Seriously, this was made for my tastes!
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
Combine well to make a binded filling.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
roll them up and realize the user error.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea and Artichoke Vegan Taquitos
I served with Avocado Cilantro Yogurt Ranch by Bolthouse.  I bet a buffalo ranch or guac would be good too!
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Artichoke taquitos with Butternut Cheese sauce (adapted from Veggie Inspired)

2 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1 big jar chopped artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup Butternut Cheese sauce (recipe follows)
1/4-1/2 cup Buffalo style hot sauce (I used 1/2, but I like spicy)
15-20 small FLOUR tortillas
Dipping Sauces: ranch, blue cheese or guacamole

Preheat your oven to 425.  In a large bowl mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork.  Add the chopped artichoke hearts, butternut cheese sauce and buffalo sauce and mix to combine.  Scoop about 2 tbsp of the filling onto each tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush with oil or spray with cooking spray Bake 15-20 minutes until the tortillas are browning on the edges.

Butternut Cheese Sauce

1 1/2 cups butternut squash (peeled and chopped into cubes)(or use frozen like I did)
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid (from the squash or from cashew soak)
1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Soak the cashews.  Add butternut squash to a pot and cover with water by at least an inch or two. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to medium and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes or so). Skip this step if you used frozen like me, and just defrost! Saute squash and onions in a skillet with oil until they are tender,  and add them to a high speed blender with the cashews, lemon juice, salt, dijon, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and reserved cooking liquid (use white wine, beer, veggie stock or just water too). Blend until completely smooth. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

P.S. I am going to be back on Tuesday with a recap as I will be in Austin until then.  Follow me on Instagram for all the fun!  Well by fun I mean yummy food and heat! Have a great weekend!

No comments