An accidental barbecue dinner (Oven roasted brisket)

I love brisket. It is always so flavorful and tender and just melts in your mouth.  Living in Texas I got to have barbecue a lot, and I always made sure the brisket was one of my meats.  I love doing pork shoulders and ribs for Hogs for the Cause, but sometimes you just want some good ol' beef.

Making a whole brisket just for me would be silly so I never do it. There are some good BBQ joints in town, but I am really spoiled after my two years in Texas. My friend Casie and I decided to make pho in her pressure cooker for a My Shitty Kitchen on the road post.  I went on an impromptu trip to Costco with my sister to help supervise her kids and decided to check out the meat selection.  They had a beautiful brisket that was just a little bigger than I needed for pho, but was way cheaper than getting it at Rouses or Whole Foods.  That evening I decided to make it my second Saturday in a row for some relaxing time at home, so I needed to make some dinner.  Why not make a 1 pound brisket for me and my leftover purposes?

I found a great recipe on food network for an oven brisket and decided to make it.  I did not have all of the rub ingredients but I figured I could improvise and it would still be good.  I was not wrong.  It was delicious!  I had a bunch of green onions I decided to make into cebollitas and some coleslaw mix would round out the low carb fiesta. I made it into tacos the next day too with pineapple, cheese and leftover slaw! Please enjoy the montage and a full recipe to feed more than one will follow.

My substituted b list cast.
That's a pretty pound of brisket!
And some purdy rub for it!
Ready for its smear of mustard and rub down.  That sounds dirty.
Lookin' good and ready for a go in the oven.
After the first rodeo
Add beef broth and give it another ride in the oven
Simply beautiful
It'll just fall apart in your mouth!
Cebollitas are the best!  I'll repeat the recipe below.  The slaw was just cabbage, cilantro and avocado ranch with bacon from Litehouse

Oven roasted brisket (Adapted from Food Network)

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
1/2 cup sweet hot mustard
4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef stock

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Spread mustard over both sides of brisket.  Season the brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.  Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.  Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.

Cebollitas:

One bunch green onions
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of two limes
1 tbsp salt

Marinate the above ingredients in a ziploc for 10 minutes. Add to a hot grill pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

No comments