An almost one pot wonder (Mediterranean Chicken Bake)

As I have shared with you before I love Americanized Mediterranean food.  Except I'm not a huge fan of kalamata olives.  But hummus, tabouli, artichoke hearts, greek seasoning, peppers and all that other stuff is deliciousness to me.  When I began my little to no carb lifestyle, I discovered chicken bakes.  You just toss chicken and some other things, mostly veggies, in a pan and bake until delicious.  I saw this one on pinterest and thought it looked beautiful.

I changed this up a little from the original recipe.  I did not use marinated cheese or the artichoke marinade to marinate my chicken.  I used Cavender's Greek Seasoning and garlic dressing.  I also used chicken thighs instead of breasts and I left out the Kalamata Olives and basil.  In the end I ended up adding some zucchini I had laying around too, it was a great addition.  

This dish is out of this world delicious.  I wish I would have added some pepperoncini or banana peppers for a little heat but it is not necessary.  Try this one one night, you and yours will love it!  Put your own spin on it too.  If you try it, please let me know!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

The cast except for the zucchini.  That was an afterthought
Don't hate, marinate
I have a love hate relationship with these guys, they are my worst nightmare raw, but my hero when roasted, caramelized or grilled. 
As always, I had to bring garlic to the party!
I am a lover of a steamed artichoke so I always wonder who had to "dehair" the artichoke when I am cooking with just the hearts.  It is kind of a pain but so delicious.
Just getting a little sear on the chicken, it will cook in the oven.
MMM those tomatoes are looking nice!  As are my frienemies.
After more time  in the oven it is cheese time!
I cheated and stuck it under the broiler for literally a minute to ensure cheese melting.
And there you have it.  So damn delicious!

Mediterranean Chicken Bake (Adapted from the Clever Carrot)

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
greek garlic marinade (below) (or use the liquid from the artichoke hearts)
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, left whole
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1 zucchini sliced into rounds
1 14 oz. can white beans, drained & rinsed
1 package mini-mozzarella balls
salt and pepper
¼ c. roughly chopped parsley for garnish

Marinate your chicken.  Preheat your oven to 400 F.  Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sliced onions, garlic and tomatoes to a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Roast on the center rack stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the tomatoes begin to burst, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. In a large skillet warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderate heat. Brown the meat on both sides, working in batches and transfer to a plate. The chicken will be slightly undercooked. Cut artichokes into quarters.  Remove the roasting pan from the oven; the onions should be soft and sticky. If not, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.  Add the chicken, artichoke hearts, beans, and zucchini to the pan (not the cheese- if you add the cheese too early it will melt all over the place). Roast for about 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.  To serve, add the cheese and toss gently. The heat from the pan will soften the cheese.  Top with parsley.

Greek garlic Marinade:
2 tbsp. Greek Seasoning
3 tbsp. Garlic vinaigrette dressing

Mix together.  Place chicken in zip top plastic bag, pour marinade over chicken.  Seal bag and rub the chicken around.

Note: You will need a roasting pan at least 13½ x 11 inches or larger. Otherwise the ingredients will steam instead of caramelize. Use 2 pans if necessary.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

    No comments