Louisiana Saturday night-too hot to grill! (Roasted chicken and summer squash side)

FYI-This is an old post that I made and forgot to blog!  This was before I had a camera, the new template and my much improved writing skills and attitude.  It is chicken week and I wanted one more recipe instead of a Five for Friday because Mardi Gras.  I saw this and decided to fancy up the post as much as I could! Here we go, an updated post from the My Shitty Kitchen Archives:

When people ask me what my signature dish is, most would think it is fajitas, but it isn't, it's bone in chicken breasts with fancy sides.  One trip to visit my family in Ohio, my sister and I cooked a fancy dinner for a small crowd. We made bone in chicken breasts, cheese grits and smothered green beans. I don't know how we pulled off so many individual chicken breasts for so many people, but we did it! We also drove back the whole way from Ohio on about 3 hours of sleep that trip. We were in her car so she drove the whole time.  We stayed awake by being silly, and the help of lots of coffee and lots of Britney. That was before she had kids, I wish we could do that again, but have a little more sleep before the ride back this time!


I house sat for my sister over the summer while she was on vacation and I was so excited to have a grill to do some grilling! It ended up staying into the 100's all evening and I just couldn't do it. It was too damn hot! Instead I made a version of my signature dish, roasted bone-in chicken breasts with my favorite summer side, squash, zucchini and onions! This came out great and was so flavorful. Cooking chicken in the cast iron skillet is always a great way to keep it juicy and flavorful. Enjoy!


I took two bone in breasts and rubbed them with Emeril's chicken rub. I didn't do my usual step of tucking a clove of garlic and a pat of butter under the skin and I wish I would have!
Flip over and heat other side for 5 minutes to get a good crust going
Stick the chicken in a preheated oven to 375 for 20 minutes. Hello old iPhone!
My sister's oven is so fancy!
While chicken is cooking, chop your onion, squash and zucchini
Toss with salt and pepper and some olive oil and sauté in a pan until done to your liking, about 10 minutes over medium heat did it for me!
Letting the chicken rest for a moment
Ah beautiful!  And healthy too!

Happy Cooking!

Missy




No comments