Netflix and Chill (rubbed and roasted whole chicken with taco kale)

Get your mind out of the gutter.  I may be a single lady in my mid thirties, but I'm a prim and proper one, for the most part. Hence the disclaimer on the title, I was literally chilling while watching Netflix on a Saturday night by myself.  I am glad I checked Urban Dictionary before I clicked publish!

I was at Target stocking up on Targety type of things one lazy weekend.  I passed the food section on the way to stock up on clearance Christmas stuff.  A whole chicken caught my eye.  I had no plans that evening and no chicken stock in my freezer.  It would be a perfect Saturday night to have roast chicken and find something fun on Netflix. 

I ended up finding Making a Murderer and watched that the whole weekend!  I made stock the next day from the carcass and it was extra delicious since the bones were roasted.  I used something in my pantry labeled "chicken rub"  It was in my handwriting and we only do pork for Hogs for the Cause so I was stumped. Then I remembered I had made it back in the shared house when we were trying out new things in the Primo grill.  A whole chicken was smoked and I made this rub for it, it was delicious!  This was just in the instagram days pre blog, so I am not sure if I doctored it up or not but I have reproduced the inspiration below.  (Also that is flavored butter you see in the linked pic.  I will have to make that soon, delish!) (Also I am kind of disappointed no one commented #thanksobama after my last comment!)

I served it with "taco kale" and steamed green beans.  Taco kale is easy.  Tear kale into tiny pieces, toss with olive oil or equivalent, sprinkle two tablespoons of taco seasoning and roast at 400 degrees until crispy (about 15 minutes). If you make a whole chicken, you should really make stock of the carcass, it really is so easy.  You can see my method here.  Enjoy the montage, rub recipe and cooking instructions will follow.

I mean how easy will this be?  No innards to remove and the rub was already made!


This was about a half bulb of garlic.  I also put about a tablespoon of
butter in there but you can't see that.
I tucked some butter under the skin, it keeps the breast from drying out.  #grewupondarkmeat
  Times like these make me want a dishwasher and solid, natural material counter tops!
You don't have to do cast iron, but I would.  Cooking a chicken in it is seasoning bonus points!
After about 2 episodes of making a murderer, here you go!
Pulling her best pin up pose.
And serve!  A leg quarter with taco kale and green beans, so delish!
Chicken rub (borrowed (and probably adapted somehow) from The Greatest BBQ recipes)

Mix together thoroughly the following:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tblsp kosher salt
1 tblsp ground pepper
1 tblsp garlic powder or 2 tblsp granulated (not garlic salt)
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tblsp chili powder
1 tblsp cayenne pepper

Store in a tightly sealed container, and refrigerate, to maintain freshness, for up to 4 months (or a year in the pantry in my case).

Roast Chicken:
One chicken
garlic
Butter
Chicken rub

Preheat oven to 375. Stuff a tablespoon of chopped butter and a half bulb of garlic in the chicken carcass.  Rub the chicken liberally with chicken rub.  Place in a seasoned cast iron skillet or roasting pan and cook in oven until 165 degrees, about an hour and a half.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments