Getting a little smitten on my old school cookbooks (Mustard Milanese with Brussels sprouts, arugula and apple tangy salad)

I was looking for some cooking inspiration recently and I decided to kick it old school and look through my cookbooks.  One of my favorites is the Smitten Kitchen cookbook.  She always has a story behind a recipe and makes some delicious and different recipes that I have never had versions of before. Mostly I assume because she is from the northeast and has a Jewish background, and I'm from New Orleans with an Irish Catholic background. It is funny how different your food childhood and later adulthood can be depending on where you are from, where you grew up and your family's cultural traditions.

This recipe for Mustard Milanese caught my eye.  I love breaded meats and the salad on top looked great and customizable.  I am not a fan of fennel so I decided to switch up the salad.  I had some leftover shredded Brussels sprouts laying around and I love green apple and mustard together so I decided to make the salad out of that in addition to the arugula.  I also always have chicken thighs on hand so I used that instead of a breast.  They freeze flat in my freezer so no need for pounding it out.

This was delicious and relatively easy to make.  I am a big fan of all of these flavors and my inner German hidden underneath all my Irish heritage smiled.  Try this out, you will not be disappointed. Full recipe after the montage.

The cast.  I had to run out and buy those lemons at the last minute as I forgot them.
I've never done a breading like this before, adding so much flavor to the egg wash!
Assembly line time!
I mean that just looks so flavorful!
Ready for a ride in the freezer to set.
Make the dressing.
All whisked up!
I think this is a much better salad than one with fennel.  Who likes weird licorice tastes anyway?
Sear up the chicken.

Flip on over.  I may have overcooked a tad.
Dress the salad.  Look how yummy!
Plate your chicken.  Add a little dressing.  
Add some salad on top.
Just beautiful.  The perfect lady sized meal.  Make a side with it if you have a man to feed.  They, and you will not be sorry!
Mustard Milanese with tangy Arugula salad (Inspired from Smitten Kitchen, but recipe is in book)

Ingredients:
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in half and pounded thin (I used a thigh)
1/2 cup flour
1 large egg white
3 tbsp smooth dijon mustard
2 tbsp coarse dijon mustard
1 tsp oregano
1 lemon, 1/2 tsp zest and whole lemon juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 cups breadcrumbs
5 cups arugula
1/2 small green apple, sliced thin into matchsticks
1 cup brussels sprouts, shaved thin
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for frying
Salt
Pepper

Batter the chicken. Set out 3 plates. Add the flour to the first plate. In a bowl whisk together 2 tbsp smooth dijon mustard, egg white, oregano, lemon zest and garlic. Pour on the second plate. Add the breadcrumbs to the third plate. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Dip one chicken breast into flour and cover completely. Then dip it into the egg mixture and cover completely and then into the breadcrumbs and cover completely. Let rest on a clean plate. Do the same with the other chicken breast. Place the chicken breasts in the refrigerator for about a half hour or at least while you chop and prep veggies. This will help the batter stick. Add about 1/2" of oil in a cast iron skillet and heat. Cook  the chicken for about 4 minutes on the first side. Once they are golden brown flip and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain the oil. Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper. 

 For the salad: Whisk together 1 tbsp smooth mustard, 2 tbsp coarse mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Combine apple, Brussels sprouts and arugula. Add most of dressing to the salad right before serving. When you are ready to serve plate the chicken and add some of the dressing directly on the chicken then top the chicken with the salad.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments