Rachael Ray to the rescue (caramelized onion and roasted garlic sauce with chicken sausage and shirataki noodles)

My friend Susana and I went and checked out the new Chris's Specialty Meats Store a few weekends ago in Lakeview.  It is about time something like that comes to New Orleans.  I've missed stops for boudin in Lafayette when I was driving home from Austin.  Now I don't have to go so far!  We did not find what we were looking for (foie gras) but I did find some chicken jalapeno fresh sausage that was calling my name.

I hit a week when I was broke and needed to use the things in my fridge.  I had the chicken sausage and some shiritaki noodles leftover from forgetting to put them in the paleo pho I made.  I was going to just make some sort of buffalo sauce concoction with carrots and celery, and then lo and behold I forgot that all the ingredients for it were not at the house.  I had to resort to Pinterest in a pinch.

I am a fool for caramelized onions.  I am also a fool for garlic, especially when it is roasted. Enter this Rachael Ray recipe for caramelized onion and roasted  garlic sauce with chicken or turkey sausage.  It yelled at me to make it!  I had every ingredient and it sounded amazing.  It was very delicious, but my sausage was not a match for it.  The sauce by itself was great but Italian flavored sausage is a must to meld the amazing flavors.  Rachael makes her own sausage in the original recipe. If you are feeling ambitious do that and let me know how it was!  If not,just get Italian flavored chicken or turkey sausage and you will not be disappointed.  Full recipe after the montage.

This is looking too good to be true! Although with heavy cream and butter I guess it is!


Roasted Garlic is the bomb.  It makes the house smell so good too!
Hello Lover.  You are going to be yummy! Just not with this sauce.  Much more suited for buffalo flavors like I intended!
I should go into the business of shooting stock photos of onions!
I cut the amount of butter down because my arteries clog at the thought of more than a tablespoon.
I soaked the noodles to remove any weird flavor.
By the way this is what the package looks like.  They really stand in well for spaghetti.  But not with red gravy.
Hello my lovelies!  Deglaze them with wine.
Hello my even lovelier!
Squeezing out roasted garlic feels weird.  In a good way.
Brown up your sausage.
Add onions and broth to make sauce with the roasted garlic.
Add heavy cream and reduce until delicious.
Add some noodles and sausage to a bowl.
Add some sauce.  Doesn't it look good!?
Reminds me of beige meals in Mississippi!

Shirataki Spaghetti with Chicken Sausage and Caramelized Onion Sauce (Adapted from Rachel Ray)
1 pound turkey or chicken sausage
olive oil
1 whole bulb garlic
4 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 package shirataki noodles (Or use regular pasta of your choice)
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving

To roast garlic, preheat oven to 400 F. Cut the bulb of garlic across the top end to expose all of the cloves then dress with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap bulb in foil and roast until tender and caramel in color, 40 minutes.  Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are caramel in color, and very soft and sweet. Deglaze the pan with white wine. In a food processor, squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves from the skins and add the onions and enough stock to smoothly puree sauce. Add puree to a saucepot and combine with cream. Reduce to thicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add sausage, crumbling it as it cooks.  Combine pasta with sausage and sauce and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments