Cleaning out the pantry again (Maple Cinnamon Oat Bars)

As you have noticed, when my freezer gets full I like to clean it out.  Sometimes my pantry gets a bit crowded and I need to clean it out as well.  I had a stockpile of various oats and wanted to consolidate.  Unfortunately, I discovered they were all different kinds and could not be intermingled. I decided to use up the rest of the old fashioned ones for a breakfast treat, and looked to my Pinterest Breakfast Board for ideas.

I saw some Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal bars from Iowa Girl Eats and thought they looked good.  I also looked in my pantry to see if i had the proper ingredients.  I had everything or a sub, except for bananas, so I walked over to Canseco's for those.  For one of the few times in my life, I had real milk on hand so I used that, subbed walnuts for almonds and butter for coconut oil.  I don't like coconut oil, I know I'm weird!

These were just so darn tasty!  I wrapped them up individually, brought them to work and was stalked for more the next day.  I liked them heated up for a few seconds, but some testers had them cold and thought they were still great.  The cinnamon makes it feel like fall too! Make these, they are healthy, portable and filling, just what we all need in a breakfast!  Full recipe to to follow the montage.

Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
A perfect square of breakfast goodness.

Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
The cast looking spiffy.
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
I made oat flour.  Who knew you could just blend oats?!
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Add the wet to a bowl
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Whisk it up, I'll take it!
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Add in the dry and make you some bar dough.
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Add into a greased pan and bake.
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Look how baked up and delicious!
Maple Oat Breakfast Bars
Hello there breakfast!

Maple Oat Breakfast Bars (adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)

2-1/2 cups old fashioned oats, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup mashed banana (roughly 1 large banana)
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons pure real maple syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray an 8x8" baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Add 1 cup oats to a food processor or blender then process until oats have turned into flour. Set aside. Add milk, mashed banana, maple syrup, butter, egg, and vanilla to a large bowl then whisk to combine. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups oats, oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt then stir to combine. Fold in chopped walnuts then pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center has set. Check on the bars at the 25 minute mark - if the edges are browning too quickly, place a piece of foil on top of the baking pan. Cool before slicing into bars then store in the refrigerator, or individually wrap bars in foil and freeze.

No comments