I love it when a plan comes together (Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas)

Remember how I made homemade cream of celery soup and roasted salsa and smoky kale last week? Well, I decided they would play well with chicken and cheese and made enchiladas out of them.  It was a really good idea.

Enchiladas are a beautiful thing, they are so gooey and cheesy and really anything works in them. Plus, I can use my beloved corn tortillas that don't work for other things, like taquitos.  This combination of the rich roasted sauce, smoky kale and creamy homemade soup was a fiesta for the taste buds.  The fresh tomatoes on top were something that I never think to do and I am so glad that I did.   

You can totally use canned cream of anything soup and store bought enchilada sauce and leave out the kale if you want, but if you want a rich homemade taste, try this.  You don't even have to do it all in one day, it all can be refrigerated for about a week or frozen for even longer!  These are some of my favorite posts when I create my own recipe, but they take a lot longer to draft since I have to go back and find my notes from when I was cooking and retype it into coherence.  I need an assistant! Full recipe to follow the montage.  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, click on over and check it out!

Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas
Mmmm, enchiladas!  So pretty!
Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas
I boiled the chicken in the sauce and chicken broth.
Mix the chicken with kale and soup.
Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas
Roll them up.  There is sauce at the bottom too.
Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas
Top with sauce and cheese for a ride in the oven.
Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas
So good.  I served with guacamole and made my man smile!
Smoky kale and creamy chicken enchiladas

12 corn tortillas
Roasted Tomato Salsa or 1 large can enchilada sauce
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or thighs
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups smoky kale
1 can cream of something soup or homemade cream of celery
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
chopped green onion, tomato and cilantro for topping
Guacamole or sour cream for serving.

Preheat oven to 375. Boil chicken in chicken broth and 1/2 cup of sauce. Shred chicken with two forks when cooked (about 10-15 minutes) and mix with kale and soup. Place two tablespoons or so of sauce to barely coat a baking dish (I used two since I don’t have a big one). Place about 2 tablespoons kale chicken mixture in a tortilla and roll up and place in dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with green onion, cilantro and tomato and place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with guacamole and or sour cream.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments