So healthy, portable and customizable! (healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins)

I don't know why it took me so long to draft this post because it is pretty and was yummy.  Now that we are getting closer to daylight savings time, the natural light is going away faster and this one shows more of that summer light.  

Y'all know I love my emails from the Kitchn and this one is no different.  I feel like I have been on a quest to use up some oatmeal I have in my pantry forever and it keeps spitting out gems for me to enjoy.  These muffins are so tasty for sure and the perfect breakfast on the go. And you can customize them with your own mix ins!  

I would totally add pumpkin puree instead of applesauce and add a little nutmeg and make these pumpkin spiced!  Hmm that gives me an idea!  These were excellent with the things I had in my pantry and loved using Better'n Peanut Butter (I got mine from Trader Joe's) to cut down on the calories and fat.  If you have a Trader Joe's this is the perfect gateway drug into that product!  Heat these for a few seconds before eating.  Full recipe to follow the montage. 

healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
Look how pretty and perfect!
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
The Cast.  I need to make these again with pumpkin!
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
Mix up the wet ingredients
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
They said to put the mix ins on top, but I'm a rebel.
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
One big happy family
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
Don't be tempted to use muffin liners.  The contact with the pan makes them delightful
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
Muffins!  Glorious muffins!
healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins
Coworkers, Gentleman Caller and myself all appreciated the gluten free goodness!

healthy oatmeal breakfast muffins (adapted from the Kitchn)

Cooking spray
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (any kind)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or other fruit purée, such as mashed banana or canned pumpkin)
1/4 cup nut butter or 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, or chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup raisins or other chopped dried fruit (optional)

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Coat a  muffin tin very well with cooking spray.  Place the eggs, milk, applesauce, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.  Add the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and fold with a rubber spatula until combined.  Add your optional mix ins.  Divide the oatmeal mixture among the muffin wells, filling each one up to the top.Bake until slightly risen, dry on top, and golden-brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around each muffin and remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments