I need to break out my wok more often! (Mapo Ragu-Asian Pork Meatsauce)

I apparently have been having a hankering for Asian flavors from the New York Times lately. It started with the ribs I posted recently, and now we have this yummy dish I have for you today called Mapo Ragu.  I did have to resort to Amazon to get Gochujang because I did not get to the Hong Kong Market before I made this like I wanted to.  But I am glad I did that and made it, because this was the perfect meal for the freezing weather we had.

This is a bit spicy so go easier on the Sambal Oelek if you are not a spice person, or sub out sriracha for it. I liked the spice but I also enjoy something I call crawfish lip burn. The caramelized onions are just to die for the and greens mixed in make it feel so healthy.  I used collard greens, but any green will do, you could keep it in the Asian persuasion and use bok choy, or do kale, spinach, mustard greens, chard, the list goes on.  Did I mention I love my leafy greens?

I also served it over the last of the Udon Noodles I got from JSL foods.  If you can find Korean rice cakes do it.  I had some in Puerto Rico and know they would have been perfect with it.  Rice is a good vessel too, but any noodle will do too.  This is even better leftover.  Make this, and caramelize the onions while you prep the rest of the stuff, you will thank me later. It seems complicated, but I promise it is not. Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday

It does not look like the picture.  But just as yummy as advertised!
The cast, super easy!
I cannot remember the last time I pulled out my wok.  Oh wait it's been two years!!
Caramelized onions are so delightful!
I mean really yummy!
Heat the meat and then remove.
Add the other aromatics
And then the sweet and spicies!!
Simmer down and make your kitchen smell delightful!
Add your greens.  They will be high maintenance to break down while you caramelize the onions.
After awhile, it is wilted down.
Add all this deliciousness back in
Mmm what a fabulous mixture!
Noodles make me happy!
But even happier when this lovely take on meatsauce is on top!
Mapo Ragu (Adapted from the New York Times)
2 tablespoons avocado oil (can use canola or olive too)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
Pinch of kosher salt, or to taste
1 pound ground pork
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili-bean paste)
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup chicken stock
1 bunch hearty cooking greens, destemmed and roughly chopped
10-15 frozen cylindrical rice cakes (optional), or rice noodles, or pasta, or steamed rice
4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Heat 1 tablespoon of each oil in a wok set over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the onions and the pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have released their moisture and are starting to brown, approximately 10 minutes. Then turn the heat down to low, and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, until they have turned golden brown and sweet, an additional 20 minutes or so. While they are cooking, prepare your other ingredients.  Place the onions into a bowl, and return the wok to high heat over the stove. Add remaining tablespoon of oil, then the pork, and cook, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until it is just cooked, but not yet browning, approximately 10 minutes. Add the cooked meat to the reserved onions. 

Meanwhile, put a large pot of salted water over high heat, and bring to a boil (for your noodles or rice cakes). Return wok to stove over medium heat and cook the garlic and ginger in fat remaining from pork (add an extra splash of neutral oil if necessary). When the garlic and ginger soften, add gochujang, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of stock (add 1/2 cup and eyeball if you need more), enough to loosen the gochujang and make a sauce, then return pork and onions to the wok and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings. Bring sauce to a simmer, and add the chopped greens, then stir to combine and cook until they have started to soften, approximately 8 minutes. Place noodles or cakes in the boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes to soften, then drain and add to the sauce. Garnish with the sliced scallions.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments