Practice makes perfect! (Giardiniera and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken)

Ah, Hogs for the Cause practice.  As I am the lady in charge of the food, I do a lot of experimenting in my kitchen in the months leading up to the big event.  We were tasked with making a sandwich involving Tabasco hot sauce and I tried a lot of things.  One of my tries was a Chicago style Italian beef sandwich.  I made homemade giardiniera for it with the Tabasco.  The sandwich did not execute properly so it went in the discard bin.  But the giardiniera did not.  I knew I could reuse it for something yummy.

And then one day some dinner plans fell through and I needed dinner.  I looked around at my house and formulated a plan from what I had.  I had leftover fresh mozzarella from a pizza making expedition the weekend before, a big chicken breast, and spaghetti sauce. Plus the giardiniera.  Ooh and cauliflower.  Its a winning random cast of ingredients!  I would play like Waffle house and stuff, smother and cover!  

I pounded the chicken thin and separated it into two servings.  I seasoned, stuffed with giardiniera and cheese, cooked and then topped with sauce.  I served it over mashed cauliflower and it was so good!  The spiciness of the giardiniera really brightens the chicken and is cooled by the cheese.  The red sauce really drives home the Italian inspiration of the dish and balances the cheese and giardiniera.  Make this, your taste buds will dance with delight! Linking up with Meal Plan Monday .

Red sauce took over as it will, but so delightful!
A four ingredient cast?  Who am I?
Pound that chicken thin and cut it in half
Top with goodies.  Roll up and smile that you have toothpicks for once!
It's okay, it never all stays in!
My house on a lean makes even browning hard!
Pour some sauce on it and give it a ride in the oven.  This was after the ride.
Et voila!  So simple and easy!

Giardiniera Stuffed Chicken
2 chicken breasts, pounded thin (or one large pounded and divided)
1/2 cup giardinieria, divided
4 tbsp mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup jarred spaghetti sauce, divided
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

special equipment: toothpicks

Preheat oven to 375.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in an oven safe skillet on medium high and let it heat up.  Place half the giardinieria on each piece of chicken and top each with half of the cheese.  Roll up and secure closed with toothpicks.  Heat on both sides  in skillet until browned.  Cover each chicken bundle with half the sauce.  Place in oven for 7 minutes to finish cooking.  Serve over mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, polenta, pasta or rice, your choice!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments