Purging the house leads to a delicious dinner (Skirt Steak and Cauliflower Rice with Red Pepper Sauce )

Sorry about the quality of the photos on this post.  I was using my iPhone at Gentleman Caller's house and it has harsh lighting.  But I could not hide this post from you because it was so delicious!!  I am trying to continue the purge my sister and I started and do more spring cleaning. This recipe was ripped out of Southern Living many moons ago and has been hanging on my fridge along with several others.  I pared them down to the ones I would actually take the trouble of making, and gave myself a time limit on them.  Gentleman Caller and I decided to hang out and lay low one evening and I offered to make this.  It was a good decision!

This is one of the better ways I have had cauliflower rice and I will be using the method again.  The red pepper sauce is sooooooooo good you will want to drink it.  It pairs so well with the simply seasoned flank steak, and if you are not a red meat person, I bet chicken or a white fish would be just fine.  If you are not a fan of arugula, spinach or even plain old romaine will work.  But if you make this as is, someone will want to kiss the cook!  

Make this!  Or if anything, make the red pepper sauce and serve it with any protein, it is so good.  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday and Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesday Linky party.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

So filling, low carb and just straight up delicious!
The Cast
Blend all this up to make the sauce, I cannot believe the flavor!
I wish you weren't so bad for my cholesterol red meat!
ready for rice and garnish!
4 minutes on each side, perfect sear!
And a perfect spectrum of medium rare to medium for us to choose from.
A beautiful plate at any angle!
Skirt Steak and Cauliflower Rice with Red Pepper Sauce (Adapted from Southern Living)
3/4 cup sliced roasted red bell pepper ( I used jarred)
3 tablespoons chopped shallot, divided
1 tablespoon seeded, chopped jalapeno (or a poblano if you want to lessen the spice)
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. red wine vinegar, divided
6 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound skirt steak
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 green onions
2 (1-lb.) pkg. riced cauliflower or 7 cups crumbles from 1 (2 1/2-lb.) head cauliflower
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups arugula

Combine roasted bell pepper, 2 tbsp. shallot, jalapeno, most of the garlic (save a little for the cauliflower rice), paprika, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt in a food processor. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl, if needed.

Pat steak dry; sprinkle both sides with pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high. Add steak to skillet; cook to desired degree of doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop scallions, keeping white and green parts separate. Wipe skillet clean. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in skillet over high. Add white scallion parts, and rest of shallot and garlic; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add riced cauliflower and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.

Whisk together remaining 1 teaspoon each of oil and vinegar in a bowl. Add arugula; toss to coat. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices.  Divide cauliflower rice evenly among 4 bowls; top with steak, arugula, and sauce. Sprinkle with green scallion parts.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments