Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat eater - you can customize for all (Curried Cauliflower soup)

For some of you, it is still soup weather. Here in New orleans it is not, but posting this recipe from when it was soup weather has me craving it! I am always looking for ways to get more kale in my life and new ways to jazz up cauliflower. This soup popped up in my Pinterest feed and I knew I had to make it. It is full of things I usually have on hand, so it was perfect for me!

This is really good with the addition of chicken I made to it, but it did not need that. I just work out a lot and need the protein. The flavor of this is so rich from roasting the cauliflower in the spices. I thought using almond milk instead of coconut would be weird, but it was perfect!  The kale and cauliflower give perfect texture to match this creamy soup.

I made a pot of this on a Sunday and ate it for lunch for 4 days!  This is the perfect thing for a make ahead lunch!  Add chicken like I did, or keep it vegan and top with pepitas or sunflower seeds.  This would be really good with some crusty bread too if you are not a low carber like me.  Full recipe to follow the montage.  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday #109.  Click on over and link up or view a million more great recipes!


So rich and delicious!
The cast
I love spicing up cauliflower!
I used the same spice mixture on the chicken.
Roasted and seasoned cauliflower is so pretty!
If you don't enjoy cleaning multiple dishes, please skip this step!
Throw it in and enjoy!
Curried Cauliflower soup (Adapted from Cotter Crunch)

Ingredients:

5-6 cups of cauliflower florets or 3-4 cups pre riced
2- 3 tbsp curry powder or curry seasoning 
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp sea salt
2-3 tbsp olive oil for roasting
3/4 cup red onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
8 kale leaves with stems removed and chopped
2 cups (5oz) chopped carrots
4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken if not vegan)
1 cup plain almond milk 
1/2 tsp red pepper or chili flakes (use less if you don't want as spicy)
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste 

Preheat oven to 400F.  In a small bowl, toss your cauliflower with the curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 3 tbsp oil.  Spread the cauliflower on a baking dish or roasting pan. Place in oven and roast for 20 -22 minutes until tender but not overcooked. slightly under cooked. Remove and set aside. While the cauliflower is cooling, prep the rest of your veggies  Next place cauliflower florets in a Food Processor or blender and pulse a few times until the cauliflower is chopped or "riced." (skip this if you used pre riced) Place onion, 2 tsp oil, and minced garlic in large stock pot. Saute for 5 minutes until fragrant.  Add in your broth, milk, veggies, cauliflower "rice," and the red chili pepper and black pepper.  Bring to a quick boil (make sure milk does get too hot), then simmer for another 20 minutes or so until veggies are all cooked. Add dash of sea salt if desired once ready to serve.  Garnish with herbs, nuts or seeds, or chicken like I did.


Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments