A new Eggplant Favorite created on the fly (Grilled Eggplant Parmesan)

This post is a long time coming.  I have been so busy, I haven't had time to draft posts of meals of yore.  I made this delightful eggplant recipe for a cousin dinner back when summer first began.  I had a plethora of eggplant in my Covey Rise hauls and I was getting sick of it.  I decided to try something different and man, I am glad that I did!

This flew off the plate and everyone begged for the recipe.  Well three months later, here you go!  Grilling the eggplant makes it so tasty but you can skip the grilling and just heat it in a cast iron skillet.  The relish I made on the fly for it gave it so much flavor, as did the roasted tomatoes. I am so hungry for this now!  

Make this, I promise you will love it!  The flavors are so fresh and you can feel good about eating this despite the cheese!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Hello Lover!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
The cast before I dreamed up the relish!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Look at those grill marks!  You can do this ahead too.
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Add your relish and tomatoes.  What a pretty combo!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Add your cheese after awhile
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
And after a ride in the oven, voila!  Pin it to win it!

Two largeish eggplants, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced divided
1 small jar artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 cup banana peppers, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped
basil, cut into ribbons (about 1/3 cup)
one carton of cherry tomatoes
1 bag low fat mozzarella cheese
a sprinkle of parmesan cheese


Prepare a grill or grill pan for cooking over medium heat. Stir together the olive oil and half the garlic in a small bowl.  Brush the eggplant rounds on both sides with the garlic oil; continue brushing until all the oil is used. Sprinkle both sides with salt. Let sit 5 minutes to allow the eggplant to fully absorb the oil and salt. Mix the artichoke hearts, peppers, shallot and rest of garlic in a bowl and stir to combine. This is your relish.  Lightly oil the grill grates.  Grill the eggplant, covered, until grill marks appear, about 4-6 minutes. Flip and then repeat on the other side. Grill, covered, to finish cooking the eggplant.  Place on a piece of heavy duty foil, scattered like you would nachos.  Add the relish and tomatoes on top and return to the grill and grill, covered, for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle cheese on top and cook until cheese is melted.

Alternatively, you can heat the eggplant rounds in a skillet to brown them.  You can cook the same way as above, except in a 375 degree oven instead of the grill.  I actually grilled the eggplant the day before and did all the cooking in the oven.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments