Big Bold Flavors (Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard)

Swiss chard is a bit aggressive sometimes.  It is very earthy and can overpower other flavors.  When I had some in my Covey Rise haul, I knew I wanted to add some big bold flavors to it so that they could all shine.  I looked to the internets for some inspiration and found this great recipe on Bon Appetit.  

I am always tinkering with recipes and adding my own spin.  This time I added some dijon mustard to give it a little extra kick.  This was an excellent decision.  This recipe does not make a ton, as greens tend to wilt down a lot.  I brought it to a family gathering and everyone got a little taste and wished there was more.  If you are making this for more than four people without another side, I would double it.  

How do you like your chard? I previously put it in a delightful frittata and some yummy soup.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard

Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard

Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard

Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard

Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard


Lemon Garlic Swiss Chard



2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 large bunches Swiss chard, ribs and stems removed and reserved, leaves torn into 2” pieces (about 12 cups)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons dijon mustard


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, mustard and half of Swiss chard, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing often, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice and remaining chard and cook, tossing, just until all chard is wilted, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments