You don't need mayo to win the party! (German Style Potato Salad without Mayo)

I do not like mayo.  I can taste it in anything.  I never have liked it and never will.  Same with shrimp and Adele.  Never going to like those things, so don't ask!  I was tasked with making a side for a barbecue recently and had some potatoes in my Covey Rise haul.  Why not make potato salad my way, with no mayo!

I did use some sour cream, which I guess seems like a cousin to mayo but I don't think so.  It was the perfect thickener.  Greek Yogurt would work well too.  This is really great served warm.  The fresh flavors all meld together so perfectly.  Lemon zest is my new favorite ingredient these days, it really brightens everything.  I think this would be amazing with a little bacon too, if you are so inclined!

What are your foods you can't stand?  Are you team no mayo?  Full recipe to follow the montage.

No one needs mayo!
Some of the cast.  I have been such a bad blogger I forgot to document!
Pin it and win the no mayo party!
German Style Potato Salad without Mayo

2 pound red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus more lemon juice for serving
1 tsp fine sea salt, more pen
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Dash or two of hot sauce
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp Dijon or whole-grain mustard
½ cup thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
¼ cup chopped parsley

Cook the potatoes in a pot of well-salted water until they are very tender but not mushy, 15 to 22 minutes. Drain well.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt, pepper and hot sauce. When the salt is dissolved, whisk in the olive oil, mayonnaise and mustard.
Add potatoes to the bowl and mix them very well, until well coated with dressing. Then use the spoon to mash about a quarter of them. You want 1-inch (or so) chunks of potatoes coated in some mashed potatoes. Add green onions and parsley and toss well. Taste and add more salt, lemon juice, hot sauce and olive oil, if needed. Scatter more chopped parsley over dressed potatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature, but not cold.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments