My favorite Thanksgiving Side! Sweet Potato Casserole

Hey look, it's the house where this blog started!  It feels like forever since I lived there!  This post is about a year old but I never shared it because it is about Thanksgiving.  Everyone likes to blow through Thanksgiving like it's not even a thing and head to Christmas, so I knew no one would appreciate an after the fact post about sweet potato casserole. So I put these pictures in a post and waited. And forgot about it.  And now here it is, just in case you need a last minute side idea or have no idea how your grandma/aunt/whomever makes that tasty sweet potato dish that 3% of Americans preferred as their favorite in 2004.

This is probably my favorite thing at Thanksgiving besides my grandma's rice and gravy.  It is also my Dad's favorite.  When he learned that I was charged with making this now instead of his sister, he called me several times to make sure I got her exact recipe and it wasn't going to change.  I assured him I did.  He was impressed that first time and still is.

What really makes it is the cinnamon in the sweet potatoes and that delicious crunchy pecan topping. If you have not had this before, run, do not walk to the store and get the ingredients.  It blows marshmallow topping out of the water!  It is so warm and comforting, the equivalent of a cozy soft sweater!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

You can see the little sweet potato sticking out!  So yummy!
The cast.  I now remember that I need butter to make it this year!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes!  Good by themselves, but let's make them yummier!
Hey girl hey! Roasted and ready!
Mash those taters on up.  I use a hand mixer, but you can use a hand masher or a fork even!
Add your other ingredients and mix.  I hope I can find my hand mixer now that I've moved!
Smooth it in a pan.  I started a tradition of bringing dishes in a throw away container.  We all bring our leftovers home in the ones we bring!
The topping is what makes it...how can this not be good?
I mean, how can you resist this!?

What is your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?!



Sweet Potato Casserole:

4 cups sweet potato, cubed

1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup milk 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and roast until cooked, about 1 hour. Then done,place in a bowl and mash.  In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.  Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.

Happy Cooking!

Missy












No comments