Who needs pizza or pasta on a Friday night? (Roasted tomato, Brussels sprouts, garlic and sausage bowl)

I was planning on making this recipe I found on Joy the Baker one Friday evening when I was home alone recently.  I was going to make it with shirataki noodles, but I ran out.  I was so tempted to order a pizza or pick up a burrito, but moving is expensive and so are new clothes from eating such things on the reg so I decided to come home and work with what I had. 

What I had was the tomatoes and garlic to make the pasta dish, some leftover Brussels sprouts and some low fat sausage in my freezer.  Why not make the original dish, but add sausage and serve it over Brussels sprouts?  A low carb party in the oven, what a fun Friday night!

Roasting vegetables, especially tomatoes, garlic and brussels sprouts really amps up their flavor.  This was really good and I cannot imagine how good it would be served over pasta.  If you plan on serving this to more than one person, you better serve it over pasta, I almost ate the whole pan!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Roasted, delicious, low carb...what more could you ask for?
I love when a plan comes together, even when it isn't the original plan. 
Roasted garlic is just the best.  Drizzle it with oil (not pictured, drizzle)

And wrap it up.  I'll take it!
Place your veggies on a greased pan and season to your liking.
After a ride in the oven they are looking wonderfly caramelized



As is this bad boy.  I still have some in my fridge!
Plate it up and sprinkle some cheese.
Basil too!  And enjoy.  Such depth of flavor, low fat and healthy, what a winning dish!

Roasted tomato, Brussels sprouts, garlic and sausage bowl (Inspired by Joy the Baker)
4 large red tomatoes, halved
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 heads garlic, skin on and tops cut off
Olive oil
One pack low fat sausage or chicken sausage cut into large chunks
1/2 pound Brussels sprouts halved
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese for topping

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tomatoes and brussels sprouts, cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Add sausage slices and drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle well with salt and pepper. Roast until tomatoes are browned and wrinkled, about 30 minutes.  Roast the garlic heads at the same time, place garlic, cut side up on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and wrap it up.  Roast with the tomatoes, about 30 minutes or until completely browned and softened.  Toss everything in a bowl  and sprinkle with cheese if you want it.  Serve and enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments