A simple oldie and goodie, updated for my leftovers (Chicken Chipotle taco salad)

I just love a good taco salad.  They were one of my staples when I started my little to no carb lifestyle.  I haven't had a good taco salad in a while and decided to make one when I was meal planning with a mean case of planner's block one weekend recently.  I received two chipotle peppers instead of just one in my Plated box and kept the extra around just in case.  Suddenly I decided I would not make the same old regular taco salad.

I decided to change it up with chicken instead of traditional "taco meat",  some chipotle flavor from the leftover Plated goodie and by adding some sauteed peppers.  I have made this before with a bed of quinoa, ground beef, ground turkey, grilled chicken, you name it. It's just a great old comforting salad that you are sure to enjoy.

What do you put in your taco salad?  What is your go to low carb recipe?  Full recipe to follow the montage.
An office iPhone pic never does a meal justice, unfortunately. And I forgot the cheese :(
No chicken is in this picture.  But everything else is.  I think.
Chipotle peppers are odd creatures.  As are ceramic knives, they chip too easily!
They had ground chicken this time unlike when I tried to make soup!
Do the drill like when you make tacos out of a box.  Liquid and seasoning, then reduce!
Now let's move on to the healthy part. 
The onions are sucking up some of the good stuff!
Add your peppers to the party.
After a few minutes, they are ready for a close up.
This lettuce is ready for plating!
Taco Salad (A creation of my own)

One bag of romaine lettuce
1 lb. ground chicken or chopped chicken breast
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
one onion, halved and sliced
one small red bell pepper, sliced
one small green bell pepper, sliced
Optional toppings:
Sour cream
salsa
cheese
avocado
grape tomatoes, halved
Brown meat in fat of choice (I used bacon grease, you use that or olive oil).  Add chopped chipotle and taco seasoning and 1/3 cup of water when cooked.  Simmer for 5-7 minutes until liquid is reduced.  Remove from pan and keep warm in microwave or oven.  Add onions to pan and saute until browned, about 7 minutes.  Scoot them to one side and add your peppers and let them brown for a minute.  Stir everything together and then cook for 5 more minutes.  Divide lettuce among four bowls, divide chicken and peppers evenly between bowls and then top with the toppings of your choice.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments