They come in twos, I have another review! (Plated vegetarian taquitos)

I showed you the other meal from my Plated box last week.  The second meal sounded really delicious too, vegetarian butternut squash tacquitos.  I decided to doctor this one up a bit to stretch it. I was having two of my Delta Gamma friends over and this meal was only for two.  I was very happy with the results!  

I added a can of black beans for protein and sauteed the slaw since I am not a fan of raw onions.  I do wish I would have used the entire chipotle pepper, but I am not afraid of spice, you may not be.  This is a crowd pleasing vegetarian meal and very customizable.  You can add meat, you can top them with guacamole and sour cream, you can change up the slaw ingredients...shall I stop here?

Again Plated did not compensate me in any way and I paid for this box out of my own pocket.  All opinions are my own.  And my opinion is still that Plated is my favorite of the meal boxes I have tried.  So try them out, or at least try this recipe out on your own!  I definitely plan on making it again.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

I will admit I added some guac and sour cream after!
This is what Plated gave me.  I love their font.
Wrap the tortillas up in foil to warm them up and get pliable.  It's like drinks on a first date!
Chop half the chipotle and the onion.  Curse your contacts twice after.
Mix up the filling.  I added the black beans here.  I think adding some taco seasoning or sauce would have been good here too, just saying.
The sauce is being made all the while too. The milk kind of freaked me out but it worked!
Fill your tortillas with the veggie goodness.
And roll them on up to bake

I decided to saute my slaw
Pretty Maidens all in a row!
Squash and spinach taquitos (recipe courtesy of Plated)

10 ounces butternut squash
1 red onion
1 chipotle pepper in adobo
2 ounces baby spinach
6 corn tortillas
1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
4 ounces milk
2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
 3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt black pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place squash in a medium pot and cover with water by 1- inch. Generously season water with salt and boil over high heat. Boil until squash is tender, 8-10 minutes, then drain. Peel onion, halve, and thinly slice. Finely mince half of chipotle pepper. Rinse spinach and roughly chop. Stack tortillas, wrap in foil, and place in oven to warm, 10 minutes. Save remaining chipotle pepper for another use or heck, use it all.  In a medium pan over medium heat, combine chopped tomatoes and their juices with as much chopped chipotle as desired. Simmer until sauce is warmed through and flavors have melded, 3-4 minutes. Add half of milk and simmer until warm and creamy, 5 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Remove from heat and set aside. Save remaining milk for your morning coffee. Line a baking sheet with foil and rub ½ tablespoon olive oil onto foil. In a medium bowl, using a potato masher or fork, mash butternut squash until smooth. Fold cheese mix and spinach into squash until well combined. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Lay warmed tortillas on a clean dry surface. Spoon ⅓ cup filling in a straight line across the middle of each tortilla, then roll up as tightly as possible and place on foil-lined baking sheet, seamside down . Rub tops of taquitos with ½ tablespoon olive oil, dividing evenly, and bake on top rack of oven until crisp, about 12 minutes. While taquitos bake, wipe bowl from filling clean, then add vinegar, oregano, and 2 tablespoons olive oil and whisk together. Add cabbage, carrots, and onion to bowl with dressing and toss to coat. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Return pan with tomato sauce to medium heat and warm through, about 2 minutes. Divide taquitos between 2 plates, top with tomato sauce, and serve with slaw. 

I added a can of drained black beans and sauteed the slaw.  That is optional for you.  

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments