A disappointing night, but the food rocked! (Baked Breaded Chicken with loaded cauliflower)

If you know me, you know my three favorite things are pretty much food, politics and football.  This year, the football is giving me fits as the Saints may not win a game (I drafted this before we won!) and LSU is frustrating (the Missouri game also happened after I drafted!) and fired our coach. Politics are killing me this year, well, for the past 10 years, because we are so polarized, there are so many lies being bandied about and no one really seems to be more than lethargic in the middle about either candidate. I am, quite frankly, bored with all the drama.

Well, as fate would have it, two of my three favorite things collided in one night.  The Saints and Falcons were playing Monday night football at the same time as the first Dumpster/Fire '16 debate!  I had to make something delicious.  I decided to make my signature company dish, a garlicky breaded bone in chicken breast.  I usually make it with smothered green beans and cheese grits, but I decided to make a low carb improvisation, loaded cauliflower!

This is such an easy, fancy way to cook chicken.  And the cauliflower could not be easier!  It turned out that the Saints disappointed me.  The debate did too.  As a person who helps run public meetings smoothly on the reg, I have to say I was disappointed in ol' Lester Holt.  He needed a bit more moderator and the candidates needed some moderation.  But I digress. The food did not disappoint! Let's get to the food!

No one will call this a dumpster fire!  So freaking delish!
As usual when bacon is involved, one must wonder, how this cannot be good!
This very odd photo is to show you that there is butter and smashed garlic stuffed under the skin.
Rub your chicken in a little more butter and then submerge it in bread crumbs. 
Burnt bacon is still bacon, capiche?
Steamy, sassy cauliflower.  
Mash it up, I'll take it.
Oh wait, now I'll really take it!
Looks not unlike a twice baked potato filling, amirite?  OMG, what if I filled a potato skin (where all the good stuff is) with this and baked it?  MIND BLOWN.
You just have to watch the chicken.  Check your temperature often, big pieces of meat are wonky!
Garlicky Breaded Baked Chicken Breasts (This is for two):
2 bone in skin on chicken breasts
half a stick of butter, softened
four garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Cut two tablespoons of butter and then cut each tablespoon in half. Stick two halves of butter and two smashed garlic cloves under the skin of each chicken breasts.  Rub each breast with the remaining two tablespoons of butter.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and then take each breast and turn them in the bowl so as to coat them with breadcrumbs. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray.  Place the breasts on the foil and place in oven. Cook for about a half hour, but be sure to check your temperature and make sure it gets to 165 degrees at the thickest part.

Loaded Mashed Cauliflower:

3 cups chopped cauliflower
1/4 cup Cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon butter
2 pieces of cooked, chopped bacon
2 green onions, sliced

Steam the cauliflower in a steam basket or microwave it with two tablespoons of water for 3 minutes.  Mash the cauliflower with a fork and add all the other ingredients.  Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

Linking up with Meal Plan Monday and Tasty Tuesdays

No comments