A recipe from my files, or lack thereof (Tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce)

I love when pork tenderloin tastes good.  But man is it hard to do!  They come out dry sometimes. Flavorless.  Chewy.  Ew!  I made a delicious version of a pork tenderloin a million years ago when I used to email my friends yummy meals I made so they could recreate them.  (How did I not see this blog coming!?)  I looked through my emails and couldn't find it.  I vaguely remembered what I did but not exactly.  Time to recreate!

I was cleaning out my pantry and came across a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, which was the only ingredient I remember about that tenderloin.  I bet myself it would go great with a mustard rub and a white wine pan sauce.  Yup, it sure did!  I brined the tenderloin before cooking, and I have to say that is the best thing to do to ensure they are moist and tender.  Even just a 10 minute brine will do you some good.  I like to do about a half hour.

I paired this with some leftover risotto I made previously and a steamed artichoke, which is one of my favorite things.  The pork was so delicious, and great leftover in some tacos! Try this, you will not regret it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
That sauce y'all, it is so good!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
Yes, that is all it takes! Well except wine, I was drinking that! 
The brine bath.
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
Assembly line time!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
All smothered and mustardy,  This was messy!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
This was quite a mess too!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
But in the end, just gorgeous!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
Pan sauces are so easy, they seem so intimidating, but trust me, make one!
tender juicy pork tenderloin with onion pan sauce
A perfectly plated and portioned meal for a lady!
Oniony Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Wine Pan Sauce

1 smallish pork tenderloin
ice and water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp of mustard (I used one tbsp each of dijon and sweet hot mustard, but any will do)
1 packet Onion soup mix
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Fill a small pan with water and heat to a boil.  Add salt and sugar and stir until combined.  remove from heat. Fill a large bowl with ice and pour brine over it.  Once cool, add the pork and let it sit for 10 minutes to an hour.  Preheat oven to 375.  Remove the pork when done to a cutting board.  Season with salt and and pepper and then rub completely with the mustard.  Then coat the pork with the onion soup mix, using your hands to rub it all in.  You may not need the whole packet.  Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron skillet and then add the pork.  Cook on each side for 5 minutes and then remove to oven.  Cook for 25 minutes, or until pork registers 165 degrees.  Remove skillet from the oven and put pork on a clean cutting board to rest.  Add the wine to the pan and scrape up all the drippings.  Turn the burner on medium heat and let the wine simmer and reduce for 10 minutes.  Slice the tenderloin and serve with pan sauce.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments