Lessons on investing in spices (Curried Chicken and Veggie Sheet Pan Dinner)

I love trying out new spins on low carb diners.  First, some housekeeping.  I call my lifestyle the little to no carb lifestyle but to some of you strict low carbers, that is probably a misnomer.  I don't really count carbs unless something comes in packaging.  Which usually I do not buy.  But what I do is, I try not to have an processed or added carbs (think rice, pasta, white potatoes, bread) and stick to lean meats and veggies. This has helped me lose all of my quitting smoking weight and keep most of it off.  I went on a bit of an eat what I want bender lately and have been trying to get back on track!

I saw this on my Pinterest for a curried sheet pan and thought it would be a great little to no carb and exotic treat.  I had turnips leftover from a previous Hollygrove Box that I thought would be a great sub for butternut squash and stopped in at the market to pick up some fresh local Brussels Sprouts.  It was good, but, next time I think I will go to a spice shop and get good curry powder. Or at least get some that is not just to its expiration date. Mine is too celery based and did not have a good depth of flavor.  That is my fault, not this recipe's.  I also think that the butternut squash would have been really good, or even a sweet potato.  In any event, I ate the leftover veggies like a banshee and reused the leftover chicken to make a quick leftovers recipe that is coming.

Make this, you will love how easy and how little cleaning you have after!  Do you make sheet pan dinners? What are some of your favorites?  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
The cast.  That is a really large onion!  Don't use that curry powder!
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
Chop up your veggies.  My Brussels sprouts were small so I kept them intact.
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
Spread those veggies open far and wide.  Reminds me of a song from my old partying days that I will not link.  But some of you get it, right?
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
Make your curried yogurt sauce.  Use less and better powder please!
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
Toss the chicken with it and place on the veggies.
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
After awhile, you have this, how delicious looking is that??
Curried Chicken and veggies sheet pan dinner
Plate and enjoy all the little to no carb goodness!

Curried Chicken and Vegetable pan roast (Adapted from Food and Wine

Ingredients
2 large turnips cut into in 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved
2 large red onions, cut into thin wedges
1 cup oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tablespoon Madras curry powder
4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Warm naan, for serving


Preheat the oven to 450 and position racks in the upper and middle thirds. In a very large bowl, toss the turnips with the brussels sprouts, onion wedges and 1/2 cup of the  oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables on 2 large, sturdy rimmed baking sheets.  In the same bowl, combine the cup of yogurt with the ginger, garlic, curry powder and the remaining 1/2 cup of oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss until thoroughly coated. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables. Roast for about 40 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until the vegetables are nearly tender and the chicken is nearly cooked through. Pour off any accumulated liquid in the pans and roast for about 20 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is lightly browned. Serve a pile of veggies and a piece of chicken or two and enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments