A Pinterest rant turns into breakfast (Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats)

I've been hating Pinterest ever since they went to the new model.  I can say this as a person who used it way back when when it was an exclusive club.  I get barraged with ads, sponsored and promoted pins and I can't just find the normal people I am following.  Okay rant over.

What it does is flood you with suggested recipes that everyone sees.  Such as the pretty zoodles.  And these Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats.  Since I am having a hard time being excited about my green smoothies these days, I decided to try my hand at them.  Well I decided to use what I had on hand, which was steel cut oats instead of regular, which changed the texture a bit. I also used different extracts and had no sprinkles since I'm a kid free household.

These were good, but only after warmed up.  When eaten cold I felt like I was stuck in Orange is the New Black.  Heated up, I just felt like I was at work.  I will make this again and next time I will use old fashioned oats.  That and heating the first time will be all it needs.  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!


Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats
My photography teacher would not like this photo but I do!
Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats
The cast.  We both would not like this photo.  Wrong white balance!
Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats
Add everyone to the bowl.
Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats
Mix it up real nice
Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats
Let them sit overnight, and then enjoy, preferably heated!

Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oats (adapted from Dashing Dish)

Ingredients
1 cup Old fashioned oats
1/4 cup Plain or vanilla protein powder
2 tbs stevia
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Almond extract (I used maple)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or low fat milk)
1/2 cup Plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 tbs Sprinkles for topping (optional)

In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Divide between 2 small bowls, mugs, or mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight so the oats soften and absorb the liquid. Top with sprinkles if desired! Microwave for 30-60 seconds to enjoy warm!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments