Winner Winner Chicken Dinner again! (Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs)

I told y'all recently that I participated in a "Jerk Off" with Gentleman Caller and some of his friends. My chicken was jerkolicious! I have to give credit where credit is due, I found this on a new blog that I plan on frequenting now, Christina's Cucina. She is scottish and Italian and loves to travel and cook, it sounds perfect!  She had a recipe for Jerk Chicken that sounded good, so I decided to try it!

I went to the Ideal Market (it is a local chain of Hispanic Grocery Stores) near my house after work on the hunt for hot Scotch Bonnet peppers. Apparently they are super hard to find in this town because no one at the party could find them! I improvised with serrano peppers and added more than called for.  I went on down the road to Whole Foods too to see if they had them and no luck.  But I did pick up extra hot dried cayenne to make up the difference.  It was perfect!

I think the key to this is marinating it overnight.  I did it for about 18 hours.  The sauce is so good and I can't wait to use the leftovers!  I think you can use boneless thighs, but the bone in chicken keeps it juicy.  This is not as spicy as you think, very addictive, and a foodie party winner!  You must try it! Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
Fired up and ready for competition!
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
The cast.  Ginger in a tube is the best!


Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
Blend up the marinating paste.  Coming in hot!
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
After 18 hours, you shall have this.  It's really in there!
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
The beginnings of the sauce.  I ladled some out here to baste the chicken while it was cooking.
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
The chicken on the grill.  I bet this would be good baked in the oven too!
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
Look at the sauce, so thick and rich.  Guess my allspice didn't grind up all the way!
Authentic Jerk Chicken Thighs
It took a bit longer to cook because I was rushing of course! But here you go!

Crowd Pleasing Jerk Chicken thighs (Adapted from Christina's Cucina)

Ingredients
1 lb. bone in skin on chicken thighs
Jerk base
2 tsp allspice (I used whole but ground works)
½ cup packed brown sugar
½teaspoon ginger minced
8 garlic cloves
5 serrano peppers, tops removed
1/4 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
2 tbsp thyme leaves
12 green onions, bottom white part removed (or spring onions if you can find them!)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp soy sauce

Jerk Sauce
2 tbsp Jerk paste
6 oz Red Stripe beer
⅔ cup (5 oz) pineapple juice
¾ cup (6 oz) ketchup

Put all the ingredients listed for Jerk base in a food processor or blender and liquefy.  Take out 2 tbsp. and pour in a container and keep in fridge.  Use the remaining paste to rub on chicken, then leave the chicken overnight, or up to 18 hours in a bowl covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator.  Barbecue the chicken over low heat, and brush with jerk sauce (prepared sauce below) while grilling.

To make the jerk sauce:
Add all ingredients listed for the Jerk sauce to a pan over low heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring often. After about 5 minutes, take about 1/4 cup out to use for basting.
When sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked, baste chicken and serve.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments