Sundays are for dinner on the fly! (Sweet potato and leek hash)

Hope you aren't sick of me talking about the Eat Local Challenge and my Hollygrove Market Boxes because I have a few more posts about it.  I love the box because it gives you 9-12 pieces of produce, some of which I have never used or don't often use and I have to get creative.  One night a few weekends ago, Gentleman Caller offered to make a delightful meat if I made the sides for dinner on the fly.  I looked in the box that week and pulled out sweet potato and leeks and went to brainstorming.

I wanted to make some sort of gratin with it, but I was at a party and pressed for time and had to be quicker.  I decided to make a hash.  Basically an easy stir fry of compatible flavors.  It was a great combination.  Be sure to wash your leeks properly.  I had never done that before.  He showed me how and now I am showing you.  I was shocked at how much dirt was at the bottom of the bowl!

This is quick, easy and delicious.  If you are looking for a way to use leeks, this is perfect!  And you can sub regular potatoes for sweet if you want.  Have you used leeks before?  What is your favorite way to use them?  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Sweet potato and leek hash
Hello hash!  Served with a tomato cucumber version of his fave salad and braised short ribs!
Sweet potato and leek hash
The cast.  Gentleman Caller's house has great iPhone lighting!
Sweet potato and leek hash
Once they have soaked, scoop them out.  Ginger roughs it when we are over there!
Sweet potato and leek hash
Dry them out on a paper towel.
Sweet potato and leek hash
Add it all to a hot oiled pan and cook and stir for 20 minutes.
Sweet potato and leek hash
The finished product!
Sweet potato and leek hash
My tomatoes were hidden!  I love dinner on the fly!
Sweet Potato and Leek Hash:

One bunch of leeks sliced and cleaned thoroughly* (see note)
one large sweet potato, cubed
one shallot, minced
three cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When heated add all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook, stirring every now and then until sweet potatoes are cooked and leeks are wilted, about 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper if necessary.

*note:  Fill a large bowl with water.  Slice leeks into rounds and place in water.  Swirl around and let sit while you chop everything else, about 8 minutes.  Scoop out with a slotted spoon or mini whisk type of things and let dry on paper towels.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments