Who knew you could confit a vegetable? (Wild Rice Salad with Onion Confit, Persimmon and Arugula)

I am trying to eat less meat in my quest to lower my triglycerides and cholesterol.  I am not a big seafood person (yes, I know I am weird) so vegetarian it is.  And when I am doing vegetarian, I cheat on my little to no carb lifestyle with healthy grains that are good for my heart and aforementioned maladies.  I had some persimmons that took forever to ripen from my Hollygrove box recently, and when they were finally ripe, I needed something to make with them.  Enter this recipe for farro salad with onion confit, persimmon and arugula.

I have never heard of confit onions, but they sounded nice.  I love arugula and had other things in my fridge that I could substitute so as to customize this recipe to my pantry.  I had some Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley leftover from an impulse buy for a very yummy lunch that could replace the farro, walnuts to replace the almonds and Gruyere leftover from a party.  It sounded perfect!  And I could use the persimmons!

Holy cow y'all this was so delicious and it is all because of the grain, onion and arugula flavors melding together.  These onions y'all!  I will be making them again, so worth the time and effort!  I want to start a business selling them to Whole Foods; maybe I could quit lawyering!  Make this, and feel free to customize like I did. I promise you will stop halfway through eating and say, "wait is there meat in here?"  Full recipe to follow the montage. 

Doesn't look like much, but it is packed with flavor!
The cast.  It sure is shadowy in these parts now that fall is here!
The onions settling in for their confit.  Next I will do duck!
The persimmons strangely look like canteloupe!
Straining those confit onions.  I want to lick my screen!
Add all the other goodies to the party
Toss in the arugula and let it wilt.
Plate it on up and smile!
Wild Rice Salad with Onion Confit, Persimmon and Arugula (Adapted from Food 52) serves 2

1/2 cup olive oil
3 large onions, diced
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bag Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley (or any other grain like farro or barley)
2 fuyu persimmons, skin removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Shredded Gruyere, approximately 4 ounces (or any other hard cheese)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 ounces arugula

Add the olive oil to a dutch oven or large high-walled sauté pan and set the pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir regularly until the onions soften and turn translucent. Adjust the heat so that the onions are gently simmering in the oil, and continue to stir occasionally to prevent the onions from burning. After approximately 45 minutes, the onions should be soft, sweet, and caramelized. At this point, remove them from the heat and set them aside. Cook your grains according to package instruction. Transfer the grains to a large mixing bowl. Set a fine mesh strainer over a medium sized mixing bowl and pour the onion mixture into the strainer, separating the oil from the onions. Add the onions to the grains, along with ⅓ cup of the  oil. Mix to combine. Reserve any remaining onion confit oil for a fun later use. Add the persimmon, walnuts, cheese, and red wine vinegar to the grains. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning as necessary with salt and pepper. Add the arugula, and stir to combine. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before serving to allow the arugula to wilt slightly. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments