Two recipes inspire deliciousness (Turkey Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes)

I got two big old tomatoes in my covey rise share one week.  By happenstance that day I stumbled across an Instagram post by Joy the Baker.  I was drawn to it by her cute sweater.  Then I looked and saw it was a post about stuffed tomatoes.  I also am participating in a food blogger challenge where I must creatively use wonton wrappers.  I had an idea.  Then I started perusing the section of the page that said "you may also like."  And then I had a better idea when I noticed some Cajun stuffed tomatoes.

I needed to save the wrappers for a more traditional recipe and for practice.  I had some ricotta leftover from the delightful pizza last week so I decided to whip up a stuffed tomato of my own!  I kind of combined the two recipes leaving off the wrap.  I may have to try that soon though!  

These were sooooooooo good and even better reheated the next day for lunch.  There is just something about roasting a tomato that just gives it so much flavor!  The hardest part of this is scooping out the tomato guts and keeping the tomato intact.  Which I could not do, so don't beat yourself up!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes
Hello Tomato!
Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes
I only made two but I give instructions for 4.  You want 4.
Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes
As you can imagine this smelled delightful!
Throw it all in a bowl and combine.
Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes
And then stuff your maters and roast them to perfection!
Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes

Sausage Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes

Four large tomatoes
Two links of turkey Italian Sausage, casing removed
Two stalks of celery chopped
One onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
One container ricotta cheese
¼ cup chopped oregano or other herb
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus more for topping
Preheat oven to 350.  
  1. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat until shimmering.  
  2. Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is translucent. 
  3. Add the sausage and cook and crumble it around until browned.  Remove pan from heat and let cool.  Carefully cut the tops off the tomatoes and hollow them out.  A spoon works best for that.  Try not to tear them.  
  4. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl until well mixed.  
  5. Spoon mixture into tomatoes and bake in a glass or metal pan for 15 minutes.  
  6. Add cheese on top and place under broiler until tops are browned, about 2 minutes.

Happy Cooking!
Missy

Linking up with Meal Plan Monday

No comments