One pot, full of flavor (mustardy breaded chicken legs with tomatoes and onions)

I grew up on chicken legs.  My mom loves them and still does. We would have them grilled with BBQ sauce or Shake and Baked usually, with Rice a Roni and Green Giant niblets corn on the side.  Am I an 80's kid or what?  I usually do not do chicken legs as I was a strictly breast girl and am now also loving boneless skinless thighs.  But every now and again we all get a hankering for childhood comfort food, no matter how not in our diet they are.

Trader Joe's had chicken legs for stupid cheap and I decided to grab some just for fun.  I was going to grill them, but I got home late from work and didn't have enough time.  I remembered how much I liked coating chicken breasts and fish in mustard before breading, and decided to try that with this cut of meat.

This was so good!  The breading did not get as crispy as I wanted, but that is what happens when you don't fry food!  No matter, it still tasted great, and went so well with the tomatoes and onions, I just had them laying around!  Make this, it is so easy, you can sub other veggies and it is healthy!  I can tell you it is delicious with all cuts of chicken and would work well for catfish or pork chops too!  Full recipe to follow the short montage.

mustardy breaded chicken legs with tomatoes and onions
So much fancier than I had growing up!
mustardy breaded chicken legs with tomatoes and onions
A pretty low key cast.  Those are homemade breadcrumbs in the Mason Jar speaking of low key.
mustardy breaded chicken legs with tomatoes and onions
Assembly line time!
mustardy breaded chicken legs with tomatoes and onions
So easy, so simple, so good!

Mustardy Breaded Chicken Legs with Roasted Veggies

3 tablespoons honey mustard
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
juice of one lemon
1 lb bone-in chicken drumsticks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
⅔ cup plain dried bread crumbs
Olive oil, for drizzling
Chopped veggies of your choice (I used a pack of cherry tomatoes and chopped onion)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, combine mustards, and lemon juice.  Season chicken with salt and pepper. Rub mustard mixture all over chicken. Place bread crumbs in a wide, shallow bowl, then coat the chicken evenly with bread crumbs. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet or skillet and drizzle with olive oil. Add veggies of your choice. Bake until chicken is golden and no longer pink, 30 minutes.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments